Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck with broken leg still good to eat?

Buck with broken leg still good to eat?

I got a buck yesterday and when I walked up and examined him he had a compound fractured back leg.
    Couldn't believe this guy is still moving around nasty blacktail terrain on 3 legs with this 4th dangling leg.

Anyways the question is how does this affect the meat?
    The wound smelled foul and when I quartered, I noticed the green pus near the wound.
    It was on the bone below the shank so to be safe I discarded the shank also and kept the upper quarter.
    The rest of the meat seemed fine.

I've read that some game wardens say just cut the bad part off and the rest of the meat will be fine.

Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buck with broken leg still good to eat?

If it is a very fresh break you are probably ok. Sixty odd years ago we tried to save the front end of a whitetail that had a broken rear leg that was probably a few days old. The odor coming out of the oven was enough to get all the meat thrown out without even the thought of a taste.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

You've done the right thing so far.
    I'd have done the same given your info.

If above and away from the injury, the meat appears the same, smells the same as the rest, it's likely fine. Keep track of a cut as you say from the lower injured hind. Eat it yourself, and determine from there.

But, as above post stated, the state of infection can stink as it progresses, infection can spread, and quite likely taint the meat. It may lead to the death of the animal eventually.

We've harvested mountain Goats with long ago broken legs, they lived in the same nasty horror cliffs as everyone else, and we're fine at the dinner table. No difference.

Infection though, can be yukkkk.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

hunting the rut you will encounter most bucks harvested will have a injury of some type.

I’m not much help on meat quality but I do know they can and do survive for a long time on broken limbs, found a two pound last season in an area I frequent during the rut and I saw him FIVE different times 6 weeks apart and then again this spring(re; survived the winter) with a nasty break in the front leg. Must not be infected or it likely would have taken him out long prior.

Shot a buck similar to that years ago. Missing almost his full back right hoof. Lost some meat around the wound and anything close that was suspect.

Ate the rest and I'm still all there. Kind of.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I shot a buck years ago with my bow that was missing a portion of leg just below the shank. It was all grown over and healed. He tasted fine. They are such tough animals.

Thanks for the replies. We processed all the meat yesterday, everything looked ok.
    Made a quick burger patty from the questionable quarter and it tasted fine.
    So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    I got a buck yesterday and when I walked up and examined him he had a compound fractured back leg.
    Couldn't believe this guy is still moving around nasty blacktail terrain on 3 legs with this 4th dangling leg.

Anyways the question is how does this affect the meat?
    The wound smelled foul and when I quartered, I noticed the green pus near the wound.
    It was on the bone below the shank so to be safe I discarded the shank also and kept the upper quarter.
    The rest of the meat seemed fine.

I've read that some game wardens say just cut the bad part off and the rest of the meat will be fine.

Thoughts?
    I've never had that experience but theoretically I'd agree with the warden...

Had a buck last year with a hole in his leg. Either from an antler or a branch on a log from hopping over it. Lot's of yellow puss(no smell) cut the leg off and chucked it. Rest of the meat was great and finished off the last bit a week ago.