Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walking down a cougar.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: Walking down a cougar.

Sounds you are a real Hunter not afraid getting off his ORV and scrabling up some steep Terrain. You bet it can be done by someone young, in good shape, a few basic Bush skills and relentless determination. If nothing else its a Helluva Exercise program. I wish you Luck and love to read how your Adventure played out.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Hmm this was done by an individual west of WL..
    WELL DONE JT
    Cheers
    Srupp

My buddy hiked 10 km yesterday following a big mulie track. You can cover lots of ground when you just go. He didn't catch up to it....

“So who has done it before?
    tried?
    Who thinks Im crazy......”

I’ll take “crazy shit I did in my 30’s” for $400, Alex

Well Im not 30 yet haha and I like doing crazy things I can put my mind to. Ive followed buck tracks over a mountain and back more than once, I love getting on a track and following it, even if its old just to see what the game sees, what they think, how they move through the forests and hills. Super cool to hear you did it, especially with a recurve JT, Ill be using a soon to be new to me contender 44. I have a great pack and I keep everything I need to camp out in my day pack, Tarp shelter, sleeping pad, bag, food/mini stove, Just so I can camp out on the track if I want to keep going the next day or I just want to follow it until I cant anymore. Ill post updates when I get out there but its still muley rut so more of that tomorrow.

I did this years back, tracked a bull moose for hours through thick and thin, a few swamps, knee deep snow only to bump into my Uncle who saw the same tracks cross the logging road. Long story short is he shot it about 100 yds off the road. I was not to far behind and of course being the young buck in the family guess who had to hump each quarter back to the logging road, to the truck, to drive back to camp, oh by the way was a 15 minute drive. LOL
    Last edited by sames14; 11-18-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Well Im not 30 yet haha and I like doing crazy things I can put my mind to. Ive followed buck tracks over a mountain and back more than once, I love getting on a track and following it, even if its old just to see what the game sees, what they think, how they move through the forests and hills. Super cool to hear you did it, especially with a recurve JT, Ill be using a soon to be new to me contender 44. I have a great pack and I keep everything I need to camp out in my day pack, Tarp shelter, sleeping pad, bag, food/mini stove, Just so I can camp out on the track if I want to keep going the next day or I just want to follow it until I cant anymore. Ill post updates when I get out there but its still muley rut so more of that tomorrow.
    You may be surprised at how many spots to hunt other animals during your hike you find that you wouldnt of other wise checked out. Best way to learn about animals and there habits is to follow them.

I have tried, but no success as of yet. As someone before said you will learn a ton just following a cat that is not being chased by hounds. The routes that they take and where they set up ambushes are not by fluke. Have lost a couple days of deer hunting over the years when I cut a fresh big cat track in the right snow. The circling around and having tracks on top of your tracks seems to be a common occurrence (at least in my limited data set). Good luck, you seem to have what it takes to make this happen.

After reading all this, a cat hunting strategy would be to follow a cat's fresh tracks for a period, then turn around and backtrack your own.