Thread: Trying to find a spot for sons first deer

Trying to find a spot for sons first deer

Hey guys, any help would be greatly appreciated. My son turned 10 in October. We have only been able to get out a few time’s. Work, hockey, etc seem to eat away at the weekends. We are planning on going out Sunday, probably last time for the year. I was able to get a doe in reg8 where I do most of my hunting as it’s close to home(Vernon). But I have not seen much for buck activity. I usually hunt mulies in reg3, but was wondering if anyone had some areas that hold some whitetail to give him a better opportunity as youth is still any sex for whitetail. General areas or a PM would be really helpful and greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trying to find a spot for sons first deer

Everyone seems to forget getting out there and learning is the actual enjoyable part of hunting...
    your son is 10, now is the time to teach him it isn’t easy, won’t always be successful and that the hard work pays off.
    walking him into an “easy” spot is doing him no service.. I bet he will just cherish his time in the woods with his father more so than anything.

Is he hunting under his own tags? Otherwise if he's cancelling your tags you've already shot a WT doe so he would only be able to harvest a buck in reg 8 otherwise you'll have to head to a different region with the either sex WT youth season...and google maps is your friend, look for that habitat that WT love, good luck...

Agree, most hunts are about being out in the wilderness, learning to have respect for it, to come home with a filled tag is a bonus, i've been hunting for 3 years now and being 54 it has been some of the most fun i've ever had, hunting with the kids or solo there's no greater challenge than to outsmart a deer for a good shot. Take him out to your best spot and maybe you'll get lucky. One thing's for sure, you son's gonna have a blast just being out there, Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Everyone seems to forget getting out there and learning is the actual enjoyable part of hunting...
    your son is 10, now is the time to teach him it isn’t easy, won’t always be successful and that the hard work pays off.
    walking him into an “easy” spot is doing him no service.. I bet he will just cherish his time in the woods with his father more so than anything.
    Exactly right

funny thought...much easyier to get a unexperianced youth a shot at a 4 point rutted up muley than a flighty whitey doe.
    85% of whitetail i have shot have been moving on the shot. whiteys are spooky right know and will come down in another week as there rut comes in..no easy hunts out there much effort is required.