Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking down a cougar.

Re: Walking down a cougar.

I've done it. It takes a ton of hiking. I didn't use snow shoes, but did do it in the snow. Up one side of the mtn, down the other, back up, figure eight across his previous tracks and down the side we started from. I was completely exhausted and thought I would give up. Completely dehydrated I stopped for a drink of water, put the water back in my pack, turned to leave and noticed a snowy footprint on a big fir. Looked up and there he was. One arrow released from the recurve, through the heart. He measured 8' 2" with a skull 14 5/8's. Less than 100 yards from where we started.

i see fresh tracks weekly will give you a call next set if you want to give it a go...i recomend a good day pack for this. ps seen a cat by your house last friday.

Man that sounds so fun. I’d love to track down a cougar. Last weekend I tracked down a legal buck following his fresh tracks through the snow heading up.
    mid you could track down a cougar this way , would it be possible to track down a wolf? Or do they cruise to fast?
    Member of CCFR

Why not add a predator call into the mix? - I think that would up the probability of a lynx as they seem to be more curious.

I had an experience with a cougar following my tracks while I was skinning my way up into some freshy. Saw the tracks while thinking about making a second hike up the mountain, then thought about a cougar on my back while I flailed around in my skis in the deep snow; decided to head home.

If successful you could change your handle on HBC, to CatTracker . It sounds like a great thing to do. Good luck to you !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Well, this winter is gunna be interesting for me so I have this crazy idea....again. I want to walk down a cat on snow shoes, I mean find a good track in the pre dawn hours in fresh snow and follow it till I see the cat at the end, cougar or lynx. It sounds like a lot of effort and it is, I tried this a few winters a go but didnt have lots of time on my hands although I did manage to get close, one lynx went up a huge fir and I just could not spot it, and twice I was within 50yds of cougars but they caught on to me following them, circled back through thick stuff and found my tracks on theirs then put some serious ground between us. I use faber traditional snow shoes, they are silent with no metallic or plastic noises and float like a boat, I can walk a long damn way, and I have a lot of time this winter as Covid will really cut down on my business. I know hounds are literally designed for this job and my buddy has a few, I will also try calling but Im up for a challenge.

So who has done it before?
    tried?
    Who thinks Im crazy......
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    if you find a kill that the cat has made and hunting from there will dramatically increase your chances of seeing the cat. goodluck
    I agree. I've had success using this strategy even using archery equipment. Don't use snowshoes much, although in deep snow I believe they will be needed and should be ok. Snow conditions have to be just right,. Dry fluffy stuff which is quiet is best. Not too deep and not to shallow. And, after regular hunting season has been over for a while since there are less humans in the bush, so the cats will be more likely to be seen during daylight hours. Not easy, but it can be done. Go for it, and good luck.

In any event, it will be a learning experience from many aspects and a great way to stay/get in shape. I particularity love the peace and quiet.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I've done it. It takes a ton of hiking. I didn't use snow shoes, but did do it in the snow. Up one side of the mtn, down the other, back up, figure eight across his previous tracks and down the side we started from. I was completely exhausted and thought I would give up. Completely dehydrated I stopped for a drink of water, put the water back in my pack, turned to leave and noticed a snowy footprint on a big fir. Looked up and there he was. One arrow released from the recurve, through the heart. He measured 8' 2" with a skull 14 5/8's. Less than 100 yards from where we started.
    Wow, congrats JT, that's a rewarding end. And rarely done. Congrats to you.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I have heard of a guy doing this. Dont know how successful he ever was. Said he would bay like a dog as well!

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    This is perhaps the coolest story I’ve ever read on HBC
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Heck of an accomplishment JT!! I know one guy that did it in CO. Hell of a Bowhunter and tough as a boot in his younger day. His got even more exciting after he arrowed it with his home made self bow. It went down into a shallow vertical mineshaft and was still alive. He went down in after it and came out alive with the cougar! Not as large as yours was.