Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mule Deer hunter looking for help

Re: New Mule Deer hunter looking for help

Failure is good, if your not failing your not trying. Get out and scout then, you never know what could happen being out in the bush. Only one way to learn and gain experience and get a buck or whatever
    successful hunt isn’t just about getting meat. The memories and things you experience outside in nature is the best part.
    I go out as much as I can and I definitely don’t come back home with meat every time. It’s my therapy I guess , way better to be out wondering about then stuck at home or in the city especially with this Covid crap
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by jimshaggy View Post
    I recently heard someone say it comes from saying, in the afternoon, after most people are back from the morning hunt (except Henry) ....

Where's Henry? He's "still hunting"
    that’s a good one 😂

It sounds like you are getting busted if you are seeing lots of sign but no animals. This means you need to rethink how you are hunting your spot. As was mentioned, it could be thermals, or it could be how, where and when you are moving. There are conditions that make still-hunting far more likely to be successful such as heavy rain, snow, and wind. In crunchy snow on a still day, sitting and calling will likely result in more shot opportunities. I have taken the majority of my bucks by still-hunting, although I just tracked a nice white-tail buck on Sunday. Maybe I could have been more successful by just sitting over prime spots but I don't have the patience. I like to mix sitting and calling/rattling with my still hunts now, especially later in the season.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I will implement these for sure in my next hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ...... or they hop/run a bit then turn around to see what the danger is.....
    Really good observation and I think very important to remember. The buck sees you, stots away a bit, then stops and looks at you. If you anticipate that you avoid trying to hit a moving deer *and* you get ready to shoot him when he stops. Also, you can sometimes get them to stop by whistling at them. Point being, if you get busted, get ready, because you often get a chance.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey