Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mule Deer hunter looking for help

New Mule Deer hunter looking for help

Hi there,

I am new to hunting and this is my first year trying to get on some mule deer. I don’t have any family or friends who are into hunting so it is proving difficult. I have been out a handful of times so far in Region 3. I don’t enjoy truck hunting and have been still hunting by hiking onto ridge lines and slowly walking while glassing south slopes and walking into the wind. I’m trying to cross paths with 4pt mule deer but I have yet to have seen any animals. What I have seen is a lot of track, beds and scrapes.

is there any tips anyone would be willing to give, so when I’m out next I might actually be able to lay my eyes on something (even if it is a doe that I can’t shoot) so I feel like I am doing something correct?

thanks for any help your willing to provide!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Mule Deer hunter looking for help

Get an app like ihunter or hunt buddy. Find crown land along rivers. Open country with patches of big fir stands with thick cover mixed in. If its windy get into the thick stuff. Ideally get out just after a snowfall to figure out where they're moving. Then start recording waypoints.

I too started hunting with zero mentor help, but it's amazing how much you can learn not only online like your doing but reading books on hunting as well...but, nothing beats experience and it's sounds like your on your way to success because your finding sign - keep doing that but perhaps your silhouette is giving your position away and they may be seeing you first? It's amazing how well deer notice movement...the good thing about mule deer is they're not as skiddish as whitetail - even if they notice you a lot of times they either won't bolt right away or they hop/run a bit then turn around to see what the danger is - this trait can give you time to assess what kind of deer your looking at..but most times the big mature bucks will not give you that opportunity...keep finding the sign and covering ground and you'll get some sightings and maybe opportunities, especially now that the snow is occasionally flying and the rut is on...if you find does and they're not spooked keep watch, the bucks may be close, hope you find a legal 4 pt....

I love to hike around in the bush and explore while hunting.... but don't end up shooting any deer doing that.

Most of my deer are shot from a sit hunt. Get in place before dark and glass and glass and glass. My biggest deer, I snuck in an hour before dark to a stump and waited. Not a huge rut hunter, so got to sit and watch those transition areas with the glass closely to spot those sneaky buggers.

After 10am, I go and eat, nap for an hour, and then go hike around and explore.

I would much prefer to hike and hunt (still hunt), but results are results. Use my afternoon hikes as scouting trips.

I’m pretty sure skibum means to get in before first light, not before dark. I also have a hard time sitting still, but that’s what works sometimes. If you see fresh rubs or scrapes, get in a position to watch them. Bucks will regularly visit those spots during the rut. You just need to be there when they wander past. It can take time. I started hunting in my 40s with nobody to show me what to do. It can be frustrating, but eventually you will succeed. Try to sit for a few hours in the morning and evening. Do your wandering SLOWLY mid day. Think excruciatingly slowly...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Still hunting (someone needs to explain to me why moving is called “still”) works but it’s more complicated and not the most efficient.

Quiet clothing. Quiet walking. Walking on old roads. Certain types of terrain work better, and knowing the terrain and habits are crucial.

Even with all that it’s rare we shoot a big buck while walking in the bush. I’ve had tons of cool encounters with deer out walking, it’s a rush when you walk into the middle of a bunch. But finding them, getting a good look and counting to four and then having a shot is a tall order.

Quote Originally Posted by PrecariousPhoto View Post
    Still hunting (someone needs to explain to me why moving is called “still”) works but it’s more complicated and not the most efficient.
    You're moving slow enough it appears as you are still.

I do employ all methods into the same hunt. You dont have to pick one style and run that method all day.

Quote Originally Posted by PrecariousPhoto View Post
    I recently heard someone say it comes from saying, in the afternoon, after most people are back from the morning hunt (except Henry) ....

Where's Henry? He's "still hunting"

I am also a new hunter. I tried several times trying to hunt deers............ I give up... Currently, I am hunting ducks and geese. I am also waiting for next year spring to hunt spring bears..........

as far as I have heard, deer hunting takes a lot of patience and you have to walk into the wood. There are also wind directions, how to hide, tree stands, etc. For a beginner, it is too much for me....... I am waiting for the Haida Gwaii to open, then I'll go hunt there.......... lol
    Last edited by JcNemo; 11-17-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Hey man ... try bringing a better wind indicator ie a bottle filled with talc it will help you read thermals also think about whe your starting your morning and ending it find spots where there is a cut with cover leading across to other batches of coolies (groops of trees in the openings) set up before its light like an hour before hand be in your spot same at dusk also inveat in a can call works magic during the rut good luck man first buck took me 4 years .. shot it at 5 yards or less in the neck didnt even get to use my scope man when it comes together it really comes together so beautifully