Thread: Some successes, some failures

Some successes, some failures

Been out a few times, and we seemed to be figuring things out a bit more each time.
    Until this past Friday: Me and my buddy who is new to hunting took our brand new, grassed up blinds out for the morning hunt.

The first two times Ive been out this year, We just hid in the grass after giving up on my homemade Aframe blind. Some spotted us, but lots came right into the decoys.

This Friday though, we watched groups of ducks spot the decoys, or maybe hear my calling, come straight in, start to do a bit of a loop, then flare off like we had just shot at them. Probably at about 50 yards. Further than I thought a good idea to start shooting anyways. This must have happened with 50+ ducks. I only came away with a single one because it came close, and flared into the wind and wasn't able to get out of range quickly.

Now I've got a grassed up layout that blended in real nice, and my buddy has a chair blind for deer hunting with a grassed up camo net. I thought they looked pretty good.

So now I'm trying to figure out where we went wrong, and hoping you guys have any input.

I think the large dark hole of my buddies chair blind is a problem, its black on the inside so its quite dark. Are ducks very "hole" averse?
    I also think we left my boat a bit too close this time. How far do you keep you boat away from your setup? or do you cover it in camo?

Here's some pics of the last couple times. This is Holly's first year retrieving and shes doing great.
    Opening morning was also the first hunt my girlfriend Katie has been on. Excited to finally have her join me, since its been years of trying!

Last edited by mikeman20; 11-15-2020 at 08:01 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Some successes, some failures

If the birds are flaring when in close, they are seeing something they don't like. Don't leave anything out in view that is unnatural to the area. I used to use a a tarp to cover any gear I brought and would keep it a ways from the blind if I couldn't conceal it close by. Your decoy set looks all wrong. It's to small and the birds are spread out to much. They look like there not in a good location either. Just down the channel a ways looks better. Find some quiet sheltered water. The area your in is to exposed and not much feed close by. There is also way to many foot prints on the beach by where your hunting. If you are going to use that spot again, set your birds in closer to shore. Always have your set facing into the wind and string them along the beach. Always have a hen leading the set, and if you are going to put pairs together, the drake always follows the hen. Try to shape your set in sort of a "J" pattern along the beach. And when putting your set out, go down the beach a ways from where you are going to put your set and walk up to your set area in about knee deep water. Then you get no tracks or alarm signs on the beach. When you call birds, don't over call and don't look up or expose your face as birds are coming in. The set should look natural and undisturbed as possible. Good luck

thanks for the tips!

We have gone to a slightly different spot each time, but they have been pretty close together and similar layout. Ill look for somewhere more sheltered next time, and use the advice for the decoys forsure

Quote Originally Posted by mikeman20 View Post

Opening morning was also the first hunt my girlfriend Katie has been on. Excited to finally have her join me, since its been years of trying!
    Now you just have to have her fitted with an e collar to reinforce what she already knows. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mikeman20 View Post
    thanks for the tips!

We have gone to a slightly different spot each time, but they have been pretty close together and similar layout. Ill look for somewhere more sheltered next time, and use the advice for the decoys forsure
    Doesn't necessarily have to be too sheltered but you definitely want to try and find a place to set your decoys and your blind so the wind is at your back since birds always want to fly/land into the wind. I'd park your boat a good hundred yards or more away from your set up,,,,,hopefully covered in camo material.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Now you just have to have her fitted with an e collar to reinforce what she already knows. lol
    hahah that might end poorly for me