Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Dog Training

Cougar Dog Training

Hello:
    I am buying a pair of pups (8 weeks) next weekend with the intention of training for cougar hunting. Does anyone on the forum have any suggestions for a reputable cougar scent / urine brand? I do not have the benefit of running my dogs with an experienced guide and think that this is my best bet on training them. For what its worth I am buying one bluetick and one Mountain cur (I am not comfortable using one dog). Appreciate the assistance.
    Steve

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cougar Dog Training

I’m no hound expert but coons are a good start . Not running your dogs with other dogs isn’t the worst thing they won’t pick up bad habits. Be patient while they are young walk them on hot track once they believe there is something there they catch on . Shoot a coon drag it for a ways and put it in a tree.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Good idea, will the dog know to pick up a cougar trail if he trains on coon?

From what I’ve seen as long as you walk the track out with your young dogs they with start believing in what they are fallowing . Good time to give them shit if they stray on ungulate tracks as well.

Walk them on track off leash I should have mentioned

Stray house cats , but you didn't hear it from me

If you'll take me out cougar hunting - I'll work on supplying you raccoons. I seem to have a knack for catching them in my live trap in vancouver.

Take them to the bar lol
    (cougar joke)
    Member of CCFR

As mentioned above, walk them on hot trails, they will pick it up very quick. Track collars and obedience training before heading out.
    I ran bear dogs a few years back, the hound dogs know which trail to follow very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by chinook150 View Post
    Hello:
    I am buying a pair of pups (8 weeks) next weekend with the intention of training for cougar hunting. Does anyone on the forum have any suggestions for a reputable cougar scent / urine brand? I do not have the benefit of running my dogs with an experienced guide and think that this is my best bet on training them. For what its worth I am buying one bluetick and one Mountain cur (I am not comfortable using one dog). Appreciate the assistance.
    Steve
    Why are you not comfortable using one dog.