Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richmond News: Snow geese shooting sparked large police presence at Richmond mansion

Re: Richmond News: Snow geese shooting sparked large police presence at Richmond mans

My son was duck hunting a few weeks ago with 5 others. They had permission from the land owner and were in a open area.

Two different police vehicles circled the block before one stopped and flashed his lights .
    My son went over and chatted with him. The police man said that they had a complaint that people were hunting ducks and they weren't open.
    To the police officer's credit, they contacted the CO and found that the guys were allowed to be hunting ducks. They asked to see my son's paperwork , and went on their way.
    A positive interaction with the police.
    On a side note , the guys managed 40 ducks.

Re: Richmond News: Snow geese shooting sparked large police presence at Richmond mans

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    My son was duck hunting a few weeks ago with 5 others. They had permission from the land owner and were in a open area.

Two different police vehicles circled the block before one stopped and flashed his lights .
    My son went over and chatted with him. The police man said that they had a complaint that people were hunting ducks and they weren't open.
    To the police officer's credit, they contacted the CO and found that the guys were allowed to be hunting ducks. They asked to see my son's paperwork , and went on their way.
    A positive interaction with the police.
    On a side note , the guys managed 40 ducks.
    I had the RCMP called on me at a legal place along the Pitt River. They waved me over and after checking my paperwork apologized for disturbing me because they knew it was legal to shoot where I was but they had a "man with gun" call and they said they are required to attend. Funny thing was I had my gun in a case when I was visible getting out of my truck. Maybe a cyclist or walker saw me with binos from the dike.

Same thing happened to my buddy in the same spot the year before.
    Last edited by MichelD; 11-19-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I had the RCMP called on me at a legal place along the Pitt River. They waved me over and after checking my paperwork apologized for disturbing me because they knew it was legal to shoot where I was but they had a "man with gun" call and they said they are required to attend. Funny thing was I had my gun in a case when i was visible getting out of my truck. Maybe a cyclist or walker saw me with binos from the dike.

Same thing happened to my buddy in the same spot the year before.
    Yes, a walker likely called with the plan to frustrate the hunters so they wouldn't return but more so to frustrate the police to get the nuisance area closed to bird hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Yes, a walker likely called with the plan to frustrate the hunters so they wouldn't return but more so to frustrate the police to get the nuisance area closed to bird hunting.
    Yes this. Likely busy bodies with no life and possibly an axe to grind with hunters.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    Yes this. Likely busy bodies with no life and possibly an axe to grind with hunters.
    OR.........., just someone that doesn't know the regulations and when they see someone with a shotgun they get spooked. A few years back I was duck hunting a creek out in around Chilliwack, parked on a busy road where we were visible from the road as we walked across a field. When we finished are hunt we got back to my truck with unloaded guns and a leash around my Lab and my main concern was to get my lab back in the truck beside the busy road. After I got the dog back in her crate I looked at my buddy and he motioned with his head as if look at this, about 30 ft. away was a RCMP car, the guy got out and came over to chat with us. The guy says, we got a report that there was a couple of people walking around a field with guns and a dog. I'm taking it, that was you guys the guy asked, we say yes, we were duck hunting. He asked, are you allowed to do that here? We said yes and that we had permission from the owner and we showed him on the Fraser Valley Special Permit Map that we were permitted to be there. After he he had a look at the rest of our paper work he said, have a nice day boys, and he was on his way. Probably just someone that's ignorant of the regulations.

There is a reason why there are signs posted at Robert's Bank and Boundary Bay telling the public when hunting season is on with a pictograph of a hunter with gun in case they can't read. It must have come up before and police get tired of it being reported.