Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing setups

Ice fishing setups

Haven't been ice fishing in a lot of years but hoping to get some time off work at some point this winter and getting back into it.
    Can anyone recommend a good 4 person tent and a decent heater? Maybe a battery powered auger if they're any good?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ice fishing setups

ICE FISSSSHIIN, I like ice fishin...... the heater game is dominated by mr buddy heaters, for a 4 person tent you dont need a big one, for convenience and cost I refill the 1lbs bottles. As for huts, Costco makes a decent hut that fits 4, its basic and not insulated but gets the job done without issue. Now if you want to get into it you can get a big ass insulated tent and a bigger buddy hooked up to a 10-20lbs bottle and live out there for days like me with a couple buddies. No lets talk about augers eh, there are a few good dedicated battery augers but they are very expensive unless you are going to use it a ton. I use a milwaukee M18 drill, and a K-drill auger but you can use any good 18-20v drill and get a conversion for most hand augers but google yourself up a safety for it so the auger doesnt slip the chuck and deep six itself. Using the drill combo and the two batteries (5amp/h) I can drill 100 holes through 12'' of ice. If you have any questions about ice fishing you can send me a message, its an addiction.

I have the big insulated cabelas tent. It looks like a rectangle, twice as long one way as the other. I’m pretty happy with it so far. A drill is essential, especially for putting anchors in. I have two buddy heaters, not sure on the models. And two five pound propane bottles, these are fairly expensive, but way cheaper than buying one pounders.

I have a two stroke Eskimo auger. I haven’t had it too long, so I can’t comment on quality, it does work as good as anything else and way better than drilling by hand. Honestly, if it were 12” of ice, I’d probably just pack a hand auger. Before I got the gas auger, I was drilling multiple holes through 3feet of ice every time I went out.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The nice thing about electric or hand augers is drilling holes inside your tent after it’s set up. You’re not smelling two stroke smoke all day. If you set up for a few days and you have to drill new holes every day, you’ll wish you had a electric or hand auger.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

My 6 man tent that works great for 2 people. Except for lake trout fishing where we need to be 50 feet apart so no line tangles. I also bought the 2 stroke 8" Eskimo ice auger. Premium gas starts every time. Rarely set up the tent due to slush on top of the ice. It gets frozen in and is a pain to chip out and dry later. 40 to 60 days on the ice.

The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

X2 for the electric drill on a hand auger. I like this because its light and compact and I commute to some lakes via snowmobile. Sure beats cutting holes with a chainsaw .. LOL

Haven't picked up a tent .. maybe this year but doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    My 6 man tent that works great for 2 people. Except for lake trout fishing where we need to be 50 feet apart so no line tangles. I also bought the 2 stroke 8" Eskimo ice auger. Premium gas starts every time. Rarely set up the tent due to slush on top of the ice. It gets frozen in and is a pain to chip out and dry later. 40 to 60 days on the ice.
    Funny this looks exactly like my set-up down to the sled and auger - except for the yard sale of crap that my kids leave around where we are fishing.

Personally, next time I might go with a smaller tent for mobility - I got the six man because I have three kids, but they really don't spend much time inside of it out on the ice.

Don't use an impact on your auger...

She'll peel like a cocktail garnish

Luckily the skrats helped us out

I'm not one to bring a lot ice fishing. Be cold like a man, pop-up tents always seem to have some broken pole, gas auger... who wants to pack that weight.

Although when friends pack along gas augers and popups... I don't complain.

what is the OP's budget? lol....can make this as fancy or as simple as you like....haven't even mentioned electronics yet!

For tents you have flip over sled style, or pop up tent style, the flip overs are heavy and a bitch to hand pull if you don't have a snowmobile

the pop up hub style, I like the wide bottom models, I really think you appreciate the extra room....I am a big fan of eskimo products, but otter and clam are good as well, pretty sure the cabelas is just rebranded from one of the big 3 and they all go on sale pretty soon before christmas

I prefer gas augers myself, don't mind the extra weight but if you're not regularly on thick ice, or doing hike in spots, a hand auger is plenty good, just take care of the blades.....I did get to use the strike master electric and it is certainly lighter and I thought a bit slower compared to gas but not by much....if you only do day trips or have power source electric are great, but also more expensive
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Thanks guys for all the great advice!!
    I think i'll try and find that adapter piece for the auger and and use the Makita drill.

The flip over sled style tents sounds like something I need since i'll always have the tundra to pull it around.