Thread: Shipping a pup

Shipping a pup

Anyone had a pup shipped from the u s with all this corona craziness going on? My pup will be ready to go middle of december and i am trying to figue how to get her home from oregon. The breeders usual delivery company wont come to canada due to covid. Any recommendations?
    It aint easy being green

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shipping a pup

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    Anyone had a pup shipped from the u s with all this corona craziness going on? My pup will be ready to go middle of december and i am trying to figue how to get her home from oregon. The breeders usual delivery company wont come to canada due to covid. Any recommendations?
    Not sure if they have a western branch but know of someone who used Worldwide Animal Transport to transport pups across into the US out of the Toronto area ..... so I would assume they would also transport pups into Canada as well. Also know of a dual citizen who was allowed to cross into the US (without being deemed "essential") to pick up a vehicle. They were subjected to the 14 day quarantine upon return.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

I had a pup shipped from van island to northern Alberta and he was terrified when we picked him up. He is now 4 and still is a whinny thing with heavy separation anxiety. He is a brave dog other wise, but whines all the time to be with someone. I wonder if he wasn’t shipped how he would have turned out? Food for thought.

Doubt if it's safe to transport a pup right now what with the temperatures dipping down to or below freezing. Too cold in the cargo area!!

Maybe see it the company will meet at the border? They don't need to come into the country and no doubt you'll need to paperwork on our side anyhow?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

See if you can find an airline with a heated cargo area. Pup will need to be flown to Vancouver as there are only select airports allowing pet transport into Canada due to covid. Vancouver is one of them.

I also know of people flying to the US to get a pup and flying back to Canada with it in a suitable pet transport carrier. This way it is with you on the floor in front of your seat.

Very doable. There are vaccination, age and other conditions that need to be followed...

We have had two dogs shipped to us, 1 from Oklahoma and the other Florida. This was pre-covid so I don't know if things changed. The seller will have to find out and pay for shipping. Obviously they get a ball park figure and you send them the money. They book the airline. They take the puppy to the airport. Puppy is put on plane flown here. Plane lands and you need to be at the cargo area of Vancouver airport. Usually Miller Street. In our case once puppy is taken to cargo the company does up the paperwork. You have to take that to immigration inside the airport. There is another office at 5000 miller road #113 but they close at 4pm or so. If you can get that one you don't pay for parking at the airport. Canada customs charge fees based on puppy cost. Make sure seller has BILL for puppy in there. We got off lucky in both cases and avoided duty and tax. You then go back to cargo with stamped papers and they release puppy to you. Then you go play. Bring some water and roast beef or meat for puppy. With Covid, It could be different. Call customs and ask. Other issue is we shipped a puppy to Alberta by west jet. When we booked the puppy we were told they may cancel the flight if not enough passengers. Then you get a credit or voucher. As it is the puppy flew that day. In the USA it'd be different and they get a refund. Make sure you find out about cancelled flights from the airline who will do the shipping. Hope that helps. If anyone is interested in a Schnauzer, We have 3 puppies ready to leave Christmas eve. 3000 each.
    Last edited by Edzzed; 11-11-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    We have had two dogs shipped to us, 1 from Oklahoma and the other Florida. This was pre-covid so I don't know if things changed. The seller will have to find out and pay for shipping.
    Have never heard of a breeder / seller (or have we) been responsible for locating and paying for shipping a pup. If you are wanting to purchase one of our pups, you the buyer, are responsible for locating and paying for shipment. As the breeder, we will work with the buyer, in helping the pup get acclimatized to a travel kennel prior to travel and transporting the travel ready pup to the airport.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Pictures of puppies are soooo good to look at especially how things in the world are these days

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    Have never heard of a breeder / seller (or have we) been responsible for locating and paying for shipping a pup. If you are wanting to purchase one of our pups, you the buyer, are responsible for locating and paying for shipment. As the breeder, we will work with the buyer, in helping the pup get acclimatized to a travel kennel prior to travel and transporting the travel ready pup to the airport.
    You forgot to add this line to your quote "Obviously they get a ball park figure and you send them the money. Unquote. Any puppy we ship, The flight is paid for by us. Every puppy we bought, Flights were paid for by the seller who is also the shipper and breeder. When we ship, We look into flights as a courtesy so it is on our schedule not yours. Does me no good to have someone say they can fly the puppy at noon on x day. I work too. Therefore we find out and try and arrange a mutual agreeable time for them to pick the puppy up at an airport. Anytime you ship something you are responsible for the costs to ship unless it is COD but airlines do not do that. If I find out a flight is 200 we tack that cost onto the total payable. And that bill is paid before we drive to the airport. If we are told the cost is 200 and it comes in at 180 we will e-transfer the difference back. And FYI, if you tell us you want some breed we don't have. Go find a broker because we are not that.
    Last edited by Edzzed; 11-13-2020 at 01:31 PM.