Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any Forest road allowed for hunting?

Re: Any Forest road allowed for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougielightning View Post
    No posted signs or fences you need to ensure your still not on private land. Onus is ultimately on the hunter to know where he’s hunting.
    Wrong. The Trespass Act is quite clear the onus is on the land owner.

Quote Originally Posted by mrWiggy View Post
    Yeah i agree, thats why i was using the map layer on iMAP BC to figure out the crown. Was just surprised to see people shooting grouse with a .22 literally on the forest road.

None the less, illl just continue to play it safe and stay within the crown borders.

Thanks all for your replies.
    Really grouse right on the forest road. I have, I do, and I will again.

No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Everything you need to know is found here, https://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document.../statreg/18003

It's interesting how the definition of enclosed land in the hunting regs doesn't totally line up with that in the trespass act. The act is what you need to follow not the regs.

The way I read the the act is that if the land is not enclosed as defined in the act you are not committing an act of trespass unless the owner/occupier of the land asks you to leave and you either do not or you return later.

Also there appears to be no mention of cultivated land being any indication that land is private or off limits.

There is so much in the trespass act that does not have the onus placed on just the landowner. If the land is enclosed either by legal fence, natural boundary, both of the two and or the land is posted in ocordance with the act, and you are on without permission it you are as I read it are trespassing, all of the above criteria require a hunter to know where the heck he is, be responsible and know where you are Right is right wrong is wrong. I see multiple hunters backs leaving our fenced hayfield each year and almost as many drag marks through the snow. Throwing responsibility on the landowner creates many problems each year

You can load the private land on hunt buddy, it doesn’t show grazing licenses though which are also considered private land.