Thread: Stay safe out there

Stay safe out there

Just a reminder to stay safe out there. Things can change quickly.

My hunting partner fell though some ice the other day. We were trying to cross a small creek. He was across and thought he was standing on solid ground, but it turned out to be a patch of ice that had frozen before the water level dropped. Between the two of us we had enough gear to get him straightened out pretty quickly. I gave him my bib overalls I was wearing, we put some hand/toe warmers on his toes, covered them in game bags and then wrapped them in plastic bags before putting his boots on. We were about a 5k walk back to the quad and another 20 minute ride back to camp. If that had happened the day before when it was -20 we would have been in some serious trouble, but it warmed up to about -2 or so. Lucky.

I pack enough stuff in my bag to spend the night somewhere with some first aid supplies, but I definitely wasn’t prepared for that.

Like I said, be prepared, stay safe, have fun.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stay safe out there

Good thing you were prepared. Shit happens fast, like you say.

Glad it worked out ok.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

did you/your buddy post this story in one of the FB hunting groups recently? looked like a nasty spill, glad it worked out ok

I did this once, of course was not properly prepared, but at least I only put one leg through into the creek....I just had to keep moving and not stop till i got the truck, after the initial stock it wasn't too bad, and wool base layer probably helped me a lot.....I am lot more careful on frozen creek crossings now
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    did you/your buddy post this story in one of the FB hunting groups recently? looked like a nasty spill, glad it worked out ok

I did this once, of course was not properly prepared, but at least I only put one leg through into the creek....I just had to keep moving and not stop till i got the truck, after the initial stock it wasn't too bad, and wool base layer probably helped me a lot.....I am lot more careful on frozen creek crossings now
    Im not sure if he posted it on fb or not, because I don’t have Facebook. His name is rob. I’ll ask him tonight.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Glad everything worked out. I also carry enough gear to last 2 nights+ in my backpack just in case. I'll get an inreach before my next solo trip.
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Just a reminder to stay safe out there. Things can change quickly.

My hunting partner fell though some ice the other day. We were trying to cross a small creek. He was across and thought he was standing on solid ground, but it turned out to be a patch of ice that had frozen before the water level dropped. Between the two of us we had enough gear to get him straightened out pretty quickly. I gave him my bib overalls I was wearing, we put some hand/toe warmers on his toes, covered them in game bags and then wrapped them in plastic bags before putting his boots on. We were about a 5k walk back to the quad and another 20 minute ride back to camp. If that had happened the day before when it was -20 we would have been in some serious trouble, but it warmed up to about -2 or so. Lucky.

I pack enough stuff in my bag to spend the night somewhere with some first aid supplies, but I definitely wasn’t prepared for that.

Like I said, be prepared, stay safe, have fun.
    Good thinking on your part...I carry enough suppliesin my hunting pack to prepare me for most situations...cheers

While in high school in Waterloo decided to go camping with a friend to Kirkland Lake wilderness area during the Easter break.
    The lakes were still frozen. We walked on the lake ice for quite some time & on our way back near the shore's large boulders, the ice broke & we both fell in & got totally soaked.
    We managed to make it to shore. It was really cold so we ran about 1/4 mile to the old trapper's cabin where we were staying.
    We had the wood stove burning in no time.

Lesson learned -we only had regular matches that were totally soaked.
    Since then always carry waterproof matches, BIC lighters & space blankets when in the wilderness.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein