Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone looking for a buck near cache creek?

Re: Anyone looking for a buck near cache creek?

.....................post deleted
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-18-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Just wondering if it would be a no-no to gut it and leave it?

I have heard CO's ask you to do that on mistakes?
    They want you to gut it, but you must self report and stay with the carcass. The COs will take the animal and give it to the local FNs.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I would take pics and then yes, you are supposed to gut and wait for CO.
    However, sometimes you have to leave the area to get to cell reception or (like me, i dont own a cell!) drive to nearest Office.
    Mistakes happen, and if so, say so.

I met a father and son, where the son shot a WT spike on a little knob, buck runs away behind knob then bounces up on other side.
    Son shoots again, and buck drops.
    On walk over to downed buck, they realize that they now have 2 dead bucks (i saw the spikers and they looked like twins).
    Total Accident, and father was able to tag the 2nd buck as he had a tag.

The worst part was the prick (the 2 dead CC bucks together) left the entire buck to rot (barely legal if that 4th point).
    AND, left a good portion of the 2nd buck, BUT, he made sure he took the rack!!!
    Total waste of 2 MD.
    No Accident.

Anyways OP, sorry from taking away from your thread.....
    But hey, it gets to the "top" of the thread!!!

I know someone that shot 2 deer with one shot this year. There was a group of deer in a field he thought he had a good size doe singled out, couldn't see any others around it. Shot it in the chest and dropped it. When he walked over to it there was 2 deer laying on the ground. Passed through the doe's chest and hit another doe behind her in the neck. Luckily his wife was there with another tag

My uncle once had a cow/calf leh (moose) many years ago.
    Sitting down, out runs a cow out of timber and cuts left.
    Just enough distance before next stand of timber to take a shot so he does.
    Well, he thought he missed a cow kept running and exited into timber.
    Suddenly, out runs a calf, following mom obviously.
    He shoots and calf appears hit as it goes into timber.
    Well, you guessed it, when he walked over, there were 2 dead moose.
    So yes, it happens, but you "report it".

Sad part is, over the past several years, i have seen some bad stuff that appears to be going on come November in CC.
    2 dead bucks in 2 years with antlers cut off...individually, not from the skull but above bases and probably no bigger the fork bucks.
    Several dead Does, 1 of which had head cut off, and placed on top of body??????
    So, no, not a lost deer.
    And the others were way up in mtn, which makes me wonder if some are just taking out frustrations or using them as wolf bait or who knows what.
    Honestly, if one cant take a Doe in that area within 200 yards of the road with a Doe LEH permit, they probably should find some other activity.

Just a little disturbed at what i am seeing going on up there and now frustrated.
    I agree, CO's probably wouldn't have enough to go on to convict anyone.

But, i am all for shaming the individual if that is all that is left to do.
    Something has to change.

One year in October I shot a 4pt from across a ravine. After I shot him I started making my way over to it through all the brush and young trees. When I came up the ravine on the side the buck was I was suddenly faced with a 4pt standing there looking at me. I pulled my rifle up and took aim. Suddenly I had a voice in my head telling me something wasn't quite right, this deer was just standing looking at me and looked un injured. We watched each other for a solid 30 seconds before it turned and ran off. I kept making my way up to where at was standing and sure enough my dead buck was laying there. I can definitely see how an accident could happen in a situation like that. Similar looking deer and the heat of the moment, shit could happen. It taught me a valuable lesson and I hope others can learn from my experience. However the situation discussed in this thread seems more along the lines of poaching and less likely accident.

Ya I would assume that would be a no no