Thread: filming hunts

filming hunts

hey guys,

I have a question for the guys and girls filming hunts that take it seriously. I have always filmed in 24p and used 60 and 120p for b roll. I was wondering if anyone films everything in 60p so you have the option to slow it down if you choose? I know it can look strange played back in real time, and if used on a 24p editing timeline has to be slowed down to 40%. I was just thinking about different options to have more flexibility with video clips. also has anyone ever broken the shutter double frame rate rule to get a desired look?

hope that all makes sense.

thanks. Harv

2. Site Sponsor

Re: filming hunts

I film almost everything in 120; sometimes 60. Hunting and fishing are unpredictable and I like to have the option to slow things down later. Can't use a 24p timeline though. I export at 30p.
    I try not to break the double frame rate rule. What desired look are you going for? Usually the look I want to achieve can be done in post.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Thanks for the reply, i like the 24p look but just through my experiences, sometimes its nice to slow thing down like you say, but if you dont want to slow it down, 60 frames looks very weird played at real time, i guess the best option is to go to filming in 60p and a 30p timeline, ive never tried it but im guessing its possible to drop every second frame to make 60p into 30p in post? Ive always wondered what the nat geo guys film in because the real time videos have very little motion blur and it looks so clean and crisp even when animals are at full stride... or im just crazy lol

I would have thought higher fps would look more smooth and crisp and give you more options when it comes to slow motion and you could play around with slowing down stuff and still show the key goods at a lower framerate. Hmmmm I have so much to learn about cameras and video editing. Does it depend on the equipment maybe? I noticed some of these cams that I have that claim they are 60 frames per second, but they really aren't, rather they just make the claim and duplicate the frames... you can grab the frames and compare the md5 hash... identical... yay china. I have played around with some "true" 60 fps cams, throwing some darts and playing some foosball and it was all crystal clear and great slow mo... so I am not sure if this is a video exporting issue or an equipment issue. Some cams are just garbage despite spec claims.

I'm no video expert at all, but nerd enough to be able to figure out fake frame duplication. I just have a cheap point and shoot, cell phone and a few SJ cams I can't be bothered to use... will definitely be doing some upgrades. I love filming, but it has always been a second thought and half effort... would like to make the effort to record memories with some quality.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-15-2020 at 02:56 AM.

Back in ought seven through 2009. Our "good" cameras for filming music videos were Sony DVX200 (they were only 1080p back then).

They recorded digitally to a cassette at 60FPS. Then when you captured footage into Final Cut, you would set your timeline settings to 24, 30 or 60.

But I'm talking ancient technology now.