Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny things that have happened to you while waterfowling

Funny things that have happened to you while waterfowling

I'm sure you've had some funny stories that you like to share.

Just yesterday I had a new hunter with me who had a day to remember.

First duck he shot yesterday (his second ever), it landed in the flats at Robert's Bank. He marched out there only to see a bald eagle snatch it up. Then that eagle was joined by another. And another. Soon there were eight eagles all chasing the first one around. It's like they all had the "Free Meal" app notification and they all came in from all parts of Ladner. I assured him eagles poaching cripples was part of the experience. I've had that happen a couple times before too.

Again yesterday, we all had an opportunity at a handful of ducks coming in. I missed mine but he shot his and I looked up after doing a quick reload to see it fall nearly into my lap. If I hadn't shifted it would have knocked me out. I picked it up and it was a beautiful mallard drake so it could very well have done some damage if it had bounced off my dome.

Earlier, we were setting up decoys and a dumb ass juvenile snowie flew nearly at head level right through us and we were so surprised none of us had a chance to pick up our guns. Probably for the best since we would have been shooting at each other. The hunter next to us had an absolute gift - his one bird for the day.

That was just my buddy's third time hunting. He's going to think every day is going to be that entertaining.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Funny things that have happened to you while waterfowling

wearing brimmed hats to protect against the pellets coming from the other side of the bay

while canoeing up a creek, stopped to stretch the legs and have a pee..standing on a riverbank as a pair of wood ducks went by I blasted the first one with a head shot so close that it began to spin like a helicopter...

shooting ducks that are coming straight in and have them crash into you or your blind

One time I was peeing and a strange dog came up to me and dropped a wigeon right into my pee stream. Before long its master came and I was like: you pick it up and he was like: why? I said, I pissed on it. And he had this look like I had done it on purpose. It tried telling him and it became so awkward I finally handed it to him. To this day I'm sure that hunter is going to tell a weird story about how this guy purposely pissed on his bird. Meanwhile the dog is just wagging his tail.

while canoeing up a creek, stopped to stretch the legs and have a pee..standing on a riverbank as a pair of wood ducks went by I blasted the first one with a head shot so close that it began to spin like a helicopter...
    A couple weeks ago I shot a bird coming straight at a couple other buddies and it was so close that I showered them with feathers. In retrospect I should have held up but no harm done except I also pulverised it beyond saving. The feathers were still floating around when I walked up to them to retrieve it. They said it looked badass from their POV.

I'm sure what happened to me late last winter during the last opening for geese would have been funny if someone else would have seen it happen. Three of us went out for a Canada goose shoot out in the valley,,,,, two of our group set up on one side of the field and I set up on the adjacent side.

At some point during the hunt a lone goose came flying towards my blind. Glad he honked a couple of times to tell me he was coming because I may not have seen him. He was still quite high in the sky but because he came right over the blind I decided to take a shot. I didn't even stand up,,,,,,took the shot from my stool.

Right after I took the directly over my head shot I was leaning so far back because of my follow through with my shot gun that I fell flat on my back, narrowly missing my dog in the process. Haha

I thought it may have been a good shot but I really didn't know if I hit him since I was flat on my back. In any event, about a half hour or more later one of the guys walked over and asked why I didn't send the dog for the bird? I told him I didn't know if I got him and he said, "How did you miss that? He dropped out of the sky like a rock!"

Sako and I left the blind and she was able to find the goose on the other side of the ditch just inside a big bramble. By the compound fracture the bird had on one of his wings it was no wonder he fell out of the sky like my buddy described. Have never seen such a nasty break like that before! Just shows you just how much damage a well placed (lucky) BB can do even at the height that bird was flying.

Mastercaster, I've crippled ducks like that with that kind of clean break. It makes it easier when sending the wing into Environment Canada.

One of the most funniest thing's that has happened water fowling was with the first waterfowl dog that I owned, a female black lab. I bought her as a started dog and through the years she became very good at marking birds. A hunting buddy and myself were hunting a creek in east Chilliwack jumping birds, we saw a bunch of Mallards go down in this creek and snuck up and jumped the birds and when they went up I picked out a drake and shot it, I hit it but it was still going so I shot it again and knocked it down. I said to my buddy I got one and he said I got one too and there it is, pointing at my bird that was laying in the corn field across the creek. I said I don't think so. So as we were walking to a bridge that crossed the creek we were" discussing" who's bird it was, I sent my dog to retrieve the bird and when she returned and after I took the bird we were still talking about it. I didn't notice she took off again, I turned to see where she was and I looked up to see her coming back with my buddy's drake, it had got knocked down into some tall grass and my buddy didn't see it go down because he was trying to shoot another bird. She marked both birds and solved an argument. God, I miss that dog.

One of my cousins has hazelnut fields in the valley, when I lived over there we’d setup at the edge of the tree line and set our decoys just out into the field from there. Anyways one time we had a few good groups come in and then it was quiet for a bit so we were chatting and not paying attention to what was happening when I looked at the decoys and saw a nice mallard drake putting the brakes on to settle in next to the mojo at about chest height. Fumbled my shotgun out of surprised but was able to put some pellets in him and he flopped the last 3 feet

First duck I ever shot I lost to an eagle.

When I first started waterfowling I was very unsuccessful the first couple years and one time I was walking empty handed back to the truck on the dike at Boundary Bay when a woman came walking along with an Irish setter. Tide was high and suddenly the dog dashed down to the waterline and returned with a live crippled teal.

She took it off the dog and gave it to me. "Here, this must be yours," she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    One of my cousins has hazelnut fields in the valley, when I lived over there we’d setup at the edge of the tree line and set our decoys just out into the field from there. Anyways one time we had a few good groups come in and then it was quiet for a bit so we were chatting and not paying attention to what was happening when I looked at the decoys and saw a nice mallard drake putting the brakes on to settle in next to the mojo at about chest height. Fumbled my shotgun out of surprised but was able to put some pellets in him and he flopped the last 3 feet
    I thought you were going to tell us you accidentally shot the mojo! Now that would be funny! Pricey,,,,,but funny!

Speaking of that ... last year I had a frustrating day and then I thought I saw a diver floating on the edge of the reeds. I decided to walk over and see if I could get within range to swat it. Strangely it didn't move so I thanked my luck, kneeled, aimed and let fly. I could have sworn my pellets splashed all around it but it didn't keel over so I gave it another shot. And then it dawned on me and I laughed at myself. I walked up to it and sure enough it was someone's lost decoy. Later that day - after some actual success - I relayed the story to my friends and one of them asked me to describe it in more detail. Yup, it was his. I still have it as he moved away shortly after. Still floats!