Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Responsible move by Local First Nation

Responsible move by Local First Nation

Have a look at the attached article. I’d like to see other First Nations in this area do something similar. Either way I’d like to think this is a step in the right direction.

https://cfjctoday.com/2020/11/06/elk...cwepemc-lands/

I’ve spoken with the ministry ungulate bios about these herds in the past. They said it was only poachers keeping these herds small, which was limiting expansion.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Responsible move by Local First Nation

Quote Originally Posted by BC Cruiser View Post
    Have a look at the attached article. I’d like to see other First Nations in this area do something similar. Either way I’d like to think this is a step in the right direction.

https://cfjctoday.com/2020/11/06/elk...cwepemc-lands/

I’ve spoken with the ministry ungulate bios about these herds in the past. They said it was only poachers keeping these herds small, which was limiting expansion.

by poachers he meant the band members from all the other bands that have a hay day with these elk, through work I know of numerous bulls and several cows coming from that area and each of them was a sustenance harvest... and those are just the ones I know about, and it’s double digit.. hell, 3 since the heavy snow fall this year alone..
    it is very common knowledge where and when the elk push down to “try” to winter and are picked off one by one(off posted private property NOT band land) and I would feel pretty confident that no First Nations are getting or paying that 10k fine.

pros and cons to getting to interact with hundreds of locals a day 6 days a week.

This is a great move and if a FN does shoot one Im pretty confident that the punishment will be handed down. This wasnt a move by the government this was a move by the local bands themselves, they didnt have to do anything. I know they wont all be on the same page about it but I am very happy to see it in writing.

Wow.... slow down.

This may be a wolf wearing Red.

This looks like a Very dangerous path to allow the BC government to follow.
    What I foresee in the courts.

There is a legal question of whether a FN can impose hunting restrictions on individual First Nation peoples.
    The Charter of Rights protects the Individual Indian. It does not give FN governments the right to impose restrictions that are illegal.

The path to FN government enforcement of such a resolution depends of Federal/Provincial government acceptance and authorization as only the Canadian government can limit Individual Indians hunting rights due to conservation concerns.

Now, take deep note of the resolution. The resolution is to be enforced on Kamloops Indian Band Lands AND TRADTIONAL TERRITORY.

This Moratorium, to be enforced in a Canadian court, as it would have to to effect the individual Indian, would also mandate that ALL hunting of that species in the effected Lands would be Illegal for EVERY ONE.

In effect, the resolution if deemed constitutionally legal, would apply to EVERYONE, on ALL Traditional Territory.

All BC hunters should be aware that ALL of BC is claimed as Traditional Territory by some FN band.

In essence, combined FN Band moratoriums could be applied to ALL of BC.

I see this a a path for FNs to be able to impose hunting restrictions on ALL of BC Lands that apply to EVERYONE.

While a glancing view may look pretty,
    A closer look can be disturbing when the details are revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    This is a great move and if a FN does shoot one Im pretty confident that the punishment will be handed down. This wasnt a move by the government this was a move by the local bands themselves, they didnt have to do anything. I know they wont all be on the same page about it but I am very happy to see it in writing.

it’s called virtue signalling they are taking a page out of Justin’s book, they won’t stop hunting them. Give your head a shake lol

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    by poachers he meant the band members from all the other bands that have a hay day with these elk, through work I know of numerous bulls and several cows coming from that area and each of them was a sustenance harvest... and those are just the ones I know about, and it’s double digit.. hell, 3 since the heavy snow fall this year alone..
    it is very common knowledge where and when the elk push down to “try” to winter and are picked off one by one(off posted private property NOT band land) and I would feel pretty confident that no First Nations are getting or paying that 10k fine.

pros and cons to getting to interact with hundreds of locals a day 6 days a week.
    If you are prepared to back this info up facts and proof, private message me.

Personally seen two of these elk last year, put my gun to my shoulder on one as I was mule deer hunting and did not know that elk were in the area at the time. Thought I was on the biggest mule buck I had ever seen. What sucks is that I saw these elk in an area of heavy poaching.

The last elk in the Kamloops area years ago, (these ones are out east) was shot by a farmer up Westside Road way.

The fn shot 4 of 6 elk hanging around Horsefly. All on private land. 2 Bulls and then 2 cows. No open season around here for elk, for licensed hunters.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Sounds like the modern stewards of the land continue their reputation of stewarding....their ancestors would role in their graves...

Look at the date on that proclamation, 2016. I can tell you that the elk have been hunted hard with great success since that date.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"