Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Fort

Little Fort

Couldn’t hunt Savona this year( fire closure) so headed for Little Fort..lot of grouse at higher elevations but few deer( they had migrated down to lower areas ) But once we stuck to the lower levels,we saw lots of mule deer( does) ,shot one nice buck( no swollen neck and not stinky ) .Probably a bit early,the does should have had a buck close behind, but I’m thinking the last weekend in October ( before the 4 point rule comes in) might see more bucks moving.

Pretty busy roads with pipeline work .We brought my hunting trailer ,but getting a motel for a couple of days might be a good option..any recommendations?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Little Fort

Having spent most of my life in Kamloops I have hunted the little fort plenty over the years. I have always found plenty of deer live near the valley floor there. We used to hike off the top of the valley on the edge of the plateau and head down to a pickup point near the valley bottom or highway. Most deer encounters were usually at lower elevations. None of us ever took a decent buck out of the area, although they most certainly are there. During november there was always plenty of rubs right along the powerline or the now busy gas line.

I was up in 3-28 on monday Looking around - up to 3 " snow up Top - NO Deer up there at all ! RJ

Lots wolf sign...in 39...
    Last edited by lone wolf; 10-15-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
    Lots wolf sign...in 39...

I’ll be up there for a mulie/moose hunt mid November. Would love to take a wolf or three.

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    Would love to take a wolf or three.
    Wouldn't we ALL ! I have seen at LEAST 10 wolves in the last 10 years out There and have NEVER able to get a shot off at any of them ! Maybe this winter ! I do HOPE you get one or two or MORE ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Wouldn't we ALL ! I have seen at LEAST 10 wolves in the last 10 years out There and have NEVER able to get a shot off at any of them ! Maybe this winter ! I do HOPE you get one or two or MORE ! RJ
    An old timer told me to try a cow moose call if you think there's wolves nearby. Might have to give it a shot. I've tried howling, brought one in to less than 100 yards but NEVER seen him, he made sure to stay in behind brush the whole time. He was close though.

I just spent 4 days up around Dixon and saw zip!

We camped at a FS camp and saw nothing higher up ,but a CO told us to go right back down and hunt just above the power lines and that’s where we started seeing deer..mainly does,it was a bit early for the rut,but I’m thinking that will change in a couple of weeks

Are you talking about the powerlines on the westside of the Thompson R ?