I've been applying for a reg 3 goat tag for quite some time. I finally got lucky! In fact, this is my first ever LEH of any kind. Living in the LM, i tend to apply for higher odd tags close to home, so naturally, my success is low.

Needless to say, i was pretty stoked for this one, so i got to doing a little bit more research. I contacted the biologist for the area first. The most recent goat count map he had wasn't all that recent. It also took me numerous emails to get a response, so i assume he just wasn't giving me the latest info. Whatever. I arranged a weekend with my girls in the summer and took a drive up to see for myself.

It was blistering hot. The bugs were atrocious. I don't hike well in 30+ degree heat. But, nonetheless i had a productive weekend. I explored every road and trail in the valley and mapped out their max elevations and "grade" on my map for reference. I set up camp where i could glass peaks of interest at first & last light right from my tent. It gave me a good starting point.