Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3" or 3.5" For Ducks ??

Re: 3" or 3.5" For Ducks ??

Gèse goes down with 2.75 and 3" 1550 fps will fold them, but like Lab Guy said being able to hit the target is most important. My partners and I put over 700 on the ground a couple of years back, not a 3.5" was fired. As I said before 1500 fps is 1550 fps whether it comes from 3.5" or 2.75". If you want to reach out change chokes not shells. They all travel the same speed and distance.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Gèse goes down with 2.75 and 3" 1550 fps will fold them, but like Lab Guy said being able to hit the target is most important. My partners and I put over 700 on the ground a couple of years back, not a 3.5" was fired. As I said before 1500 fps is 1550 fps whether it comes from 3.5" or 2.75". If you want to reach out change chokes not shells. They all travel the same speed and distance.
    Now that is really interesting “they all travel the same speed and distance”. If the 3 1/2 inch shell has more drams of powder, would that not mean further distance or does the drag resistance created by air density negate that?

I know from subjective experience (non scientific) that I drop birds consistently as far with 3” as my partner does with his 3 1/2”.

I'd like to know if there is science behind this observation or if my observations are faulty.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Now that is really interesting “they all travel the same speed and distance”. If the 3 1/2 inch shell has more drams of powder, would that not mean further distance or does the drag resistance created by air density negate that?

I know from subjective experience (non scientific) that I drop birds consistently as far with 3” as my partner does with his 3 1/2”.

I'd like to know if there is science behind this observation or if my observations are faulty.
    More powder but has to push a heavier payload. The shot string will be longer with a larger payload, but the probably won't go farther.
    I'm with Foxton on this one. I use 2 3/4 almost all the time for ducks. I only use 3 inch for geese and not all the time.
    If they are decoying really good, 2 3/4 will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    But yes for ducks 3" is great and shooting 3.5" out of a pump gun is just cruel punishment.
    This! My 3.5" pump caused severe bruising on the middle finger of my trigger hand. It was OK for turkeys but miserable to shoot all day for waterfowl. I also found the longer action of the 3.5" made for a clumsier gun mount and took me a bit longer to get on target. So I sold it. Very happy with my 3" pumps...

Get the 3.5inch then you can shoot all three sizes of shells. 3.5 inch and full extended choke works great for high flying geese.

Well shooting geese over decoys feet down 3"or 2 3/4 " yes don't think that is an issue .Shot 160 geese (8 guns) in 20 minutes over decoys .But shooting geese at 40 + I want more shot on target. The Speed is the same but at 40 + yards at least on my patterning board the 3.5" puts more pellets (16) in the kill zone versus (5). with my best performing load Winchester .As I said in my previous post we were hitting them but not hard (#of pellets) enough to fold them. But the 3.5 would definitely put them down .More pellets on target was IMHO the key.so hence the 3.5 .
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-06-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Since you are considering a pump shotgun, I personaly would go with the 3" chamber. I'll bet most of the ones favoring the 31/2" shell are shooting semi-autos which will make a large difference in recoil. Just watched a youtube video of a group shooting only .410's over decoys and limiting shots to 25 Yds or so. Pretty impressive. Also is he an experienced hunter or new to the sport?
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?