Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" or 3.5" For Ducks ??

3" or 3.5" For Ducks ??

Not a waterfowler but Son In Law is quite interested so we are thinking of getting him a pump 12 G for Xmas.
    Is a 3.5" that much more preferable to a 3" and if he also uses for upland birds, which he already is into, does that make a real difference ??
    Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3" or 3.5" For Ducks ??

Man IG, what a great father in law you are!!!!!

3" Steel shot will do just fine for waterfowl. Less recoil than 3.5" and cheaper.

I still shoot 2 3/4" lead for upland.

Having the capability of shooting 3.5" is a good thing
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Having the capability of shooting 3.5" is a good thing
    Curious why - distance, hitting power, more versatility ........................ ??
    As I said, I know zip about it.

yeah you nailed it. Bigger payload, higher velocity, versatility of the firearm is maximized
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Wow father in law of the year.

I think the 870 supermag takes all three of 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" if I'm not mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    yeah you nailed it. Bigger payload, higher velocity, versatility of the firearm is maximized
    I have been a waterfowl hunter all my life, I just sold my 3, 3.5" waterfowl guns and kept the 2.75 and 3". In almost 8 yrs I shot 1.5 boxes of 3.5" in all this time. I have to take exception to the statement ''More Velocity" most 3.5" are 1550 fps. As are most 3 and 2.75 waterfowl loads. Remington has a 1700 fps 3" while most 3.5'' top out at 1625 fps. with steel, speed kills. payload is a little bigger but from my experience if you can actually shoot, 2.75 or 3" will give you the same killing power, speed and shot size. the only difference is a few more pellets. If someone wants a 3.5" fine that's their choice but they all do the same job. BTW if anyone wants to trade 3.5" BBs for 3" BB or #3 1550 or faster. PM me. lol
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 11-06-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Same as Foxy. Waterfowling for over six decades and shot literally thousands.

I hunt with a less experienced man who insists on using 3 1/2” and I outkill him at least two to one. Most shotguns chambered for 3 1/2 are bulkier and clumsier and more difficult to get on target....at least that’s my experience.

You do not want a gun chambered for 3 1/2 if your upland hunting...

As with everything shooting related you can talk balistics, velocity, hitting power and everything else till your blue in the face but the 99% of bagging more birds is hitting the damn things.

Therefore, a gun properly fitted to the shooter that feels good in your hands and on your shoulder will give you the confidence to get on target and kill more birds. Shotgunning is more feeling than aiming.
    Last edited by labguy; 11-06-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

If you're thinking about buying your son in law a used shotgun, John, you're going to find a lot more guns out there chambered for 3" than 3.5". I don't know of anyone who uses 3.5s for ducks, just geese but I guess there's hunters out there who probably do thinking it'll help them drop more birds out of the sky..

As mentioned,,,,, if a guy is a good shot he's going to drop a lot more birds whether he's shooting 2 3/4" or 3" than hack who's shooting 3.5s. When your S.I.L. gets his shotgun tell him to spend some time at the range shooting trap and skeet. Sure helped me!

Lol I shoot a 20g at ducks so I am right out of the picture but last week week we got into some pass shooting at geese and the 1 1/4 BB 3.5" was a difference maker.Could hit them with the 3" but could not fold them up like the 3.5".But yes for ducks 3" is great and shooting 3.5" out of a pump gun is just cruel punishment.