Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with split cane - bamboo rod

Fishing with split cane - bamboo rod

Anyone else here - fish with bamboo rod’s?

A couple of Salmon caught this year on my 10 weight 9ft bamboo fly rod.

Heres my South Bend 4 weight - 8 foot - 3 piece rod built in the '30's getting into some East Kootney cuttie's and a white fish.

https
    Last edited by Stormy; 11-06-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: I GOT THIS YEAR ON MY 10WEIGHT BAMBOO FLY ROD
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing with split cane - bamboo rod

No. But now you got me watching rod building vids all morning. Thanks? Brother in law has one made in late 1800s, the craftsmanship is something else. History in your hands, quite water's, solitude, fresh air and dinner too. Nice.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I have one that I inherited from my father-in-law. It hangs over my fly tying bench. I'm not going to take a chance on damaging it.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

I have a couple that I use semi-regularly. One is a 2 piece 8'6" Hardy Marquis # 5, while the other is a 3 piece 9"6" Hardy Palacona 6 wt with a spare tip section (4 pieces in total). The Palacona was bought in the '60's at the Hardy flagship store in Alnwick Scotland, while the Marquis was picked up at their store in London in '72. They are both in mint shape....Very nice to use, but have to be careful with them as they may be getting a bit fragile at this time. The fibers tend to dry out over time which often leads to a lack of strength. A 1 pound coastal cutthroat will make the 5 wt bend right to the cork, while a 3lb pink salmon can almost overpower the Palacona. Lots of fun!!! (I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo of them)
    Last edited by Pacemaker; 11-06-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Awesome - I really am a believer in fishing these old rods, the makers really didn't make them to be hidden behind glass. If I can't throw a tight loop with a rod for any reason its goes up for sale right away

Heres a Hardy Fraser - this rod was built by hardy and badged as a Fraser - for the Fraser tackle dealer in Montreal who were the hardy agents in Canada - the rod is in fact a hardy perfection just rebranded - the rod was built in 1938 - the reel around '52 and the silk line is from the '30"s, This rod is really valuable because of the Canadian history ingrained in its DNA - its as slow as hell, but paired with a silk line, it casts and fishes like nothing else I own

Last edited by Stormy; 11-06-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!

I don't... but the few times I have, I noticed right away the technique for casting is different. I find it a lot more fluid and more "casting the fly" over loading up the rod and launching the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I don't... but the few times I have, I noticed right away the technique for casting is different. I find it a lot more fluid and more "casting the fly" over loading up the rod and launching the fly.
    Bamboo has a different feel about it - its a natural fibre and has a soul - carbon is well just carbon!!

The old British rods like Hardy and Allcocks etc have actions that are really slow - The American Builders like Young, Heddon, Leonard and many others built rods with way quicker actions (Not as fast as say Sage Scott Thomas and Thomas etc)

Here's a PHY (Young) Perfectionist in 4# and 7ft 6' (built about 2 years ago) that is as fast any sage or Loomis - but its made of Bamboo and has a totaly different feel to it - hard to explain - you have to cast it The rod was built by a really good friend of mine who lives in Alberta.

Last edited by Stormy; 11-06-2020 at 11:40 AM.

the coho and cutty have a adipose fin where are you fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    the coho and cutty have a adipose fin where are you fishing?

Lol - No fish were illegally killed in those photos (If that's why you are asking) - the cut's were all caught on the St Mary's river and the Coho where caught on Vancouver Island - I love fishing for wild fish in wild places.

Last edited by Stormy; 11-06-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Is Conner Smith buying completed blanks or is he planning bamboo into triangular segments and gluing them?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"