Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 elk

2020 elk

I left the truck when it was decent light to hike in timber. An hour after sunrise, I bumped something ahead of me, crashing away. I let a few calf mews go and the crashing stopped. I slowly moved up and seen a cow and calf elk as they slipped away through the poplar. I headed their direction and soon hit a good elk trail. I got to where I could see a little better, and made a couple cows calls. Instantly I hear crashing ahead . Could it be the cow and calf I earlier bumped ? Crash crash crash , something is ahead of me . I made a few more cow calls . Crash crash crash. It’s coming in.

I raise the 338-06 and take a rest against a tree. Seconds later an elk comes up over a small rise 50y from me, it’s a young bull. I can only see it’s left antler, 4pt for sure . It’s standing like a stone, scanning for the source of the call. It seemed like a long time, but likely only a couple minutes before he turns his head and I can see it’s a 5pt on left side. Can’t see right antler due to trees blocking my view The bull takes a few steps and keeps coming, it slips through an opening and I see its right antler has some extra shit going on . I got a quick count of 6pt. It comes through another opening, going left to right. I get a better look - 1 2 3 4 5 6, 1 2 3 4 5 6 - It’s stopped with its vitals exposed and I dropped the hammer, sending a Nosler 225gr Accubond on its way . POW Bull lurches forward , I reload - Bull runs off 50y and stops - I side step and can see him, only his head and upper neck, I’m about to fire again but can see bull is ****ed up, wobbling and then it flips over backwards in a huge crash. All was still and silent, I gave it 15 mins and then walked up. Nice tender little 7x5 bull, I raise my arms to the hunting gods. What a relief to get a bull after three seasons of elk hunting hard without anything to show for it. Then the work begins. 2.1km to the truck. 5 trips, I shot it at 8:30am and closed the tail gate at 7pm. My rebuilt ACL held up great, the next day I felt like I had tried out for the BC Lions, but the knee felt really good. I'm glad it wasn't any heavier or further. The solo field dressing and pack out was draining, but months removed, it's the most memorable part of the hunt. Note to self - carry more water in my pack and in the truck for next time

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2020 elk

Wow - big job to quarter & pack out a bull solo! Well done. Glad to hear the bionic knee held up.
    "There'll be no quitters, till we bag some critters"
    WSSBC - RMGA - BHA - CCFR

Nice Bull. Congratulations.

Awesome story thanks. Congrats that’s a great bull.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Awesome job! Congrats!
    Member of CCFR

Good job man!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Great job Mark!!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

What a job! Well done man - that's an amazing amount of work. Congrats.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Wow great job Mark, congrats
    thanks for sharing your pictures and hunt with us.
    Good shootin !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America