Thread: Trespass to retrieve?

Trespass to retrieve?

I winged a snow goose in a field I am allowed to hunt in but the goose coasted into a neighbouring field posted no hunting without permission by a hunting club.

I didn't go and the eagles got a feast, but I was wondering what is the correct procedure in this case. I'd have to keep my shotgun in hand because as you know, some wounded birds will run and run or even half fly until finished off on the ground.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trespass to retrieve?

Well eagles need to eat too...

I would say if a hunting club posted it there is a good chance they would not charge you if you were simply retrieving a wounded bird that was shot in an adjacent field.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

I know where you are going but.. its private land. And although there is "Honour" in what your doing it would still be hard to explain and still trespassing...
    maybe contact the owner of that land and ask them ahead of time. or the club.... you might get shut down but you might get lucky

Although you have an ethical and legal obligation to make all reasonable attempts to retrieve your quarry it does not trump the requirement to get permission from the owner - otherwise it is trespass. So you would need to get that permission and if it is denied or they are not available to give you permission, you could appeal to a CO who can do it for you. For a snow goose I doubt that would be worth anyone's time unless all parties are available. If the landowner's house is right there, then by all means take a walk over and see if you can get that permission.

You also need to protect yourself. Someone could see you retrieve the goose with gun in hand and could claim you actually hunted it on that land. Similarly, those with dogs have to be very careful as a landowner can get trigger happy if they see a strange dog on their land.

My griff has retrieved birds off other fields where hunting it hasn't been granted,,,,,, but she's quick like a bunny and was along ways away from any buildings. Plus I couldn't stop her because she was on a mission (wink wink). lol

I have pondered this for many years.Now I go or in the last case one of our party went. Met by a psycho female landowner but for once there was a RCMP officer arriving at the same time. The officer if I remember correctly told the land person that our man was doing the right thing.She replied that the crippled goose had flown away (not) and get off her land so our party member returned.The officer was responding to a complaint about our shooting and after a license check was on his way.So now I make the effort and attempt to recover the bird right or wrong ...of course having a good dog makes this substantially easier.
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.