Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 whitetail bucks

4 whitetail bucks

Yesterday I hunted all day,from dark to dark.

I saw 4 bucks and a pile of does.

At first light I see 3 bucks.A 4 pointer and two 5 pointers.They were chasing does.
    The two 5 pointers were both shooters in my mind.One was exceptional.There is no doubt when you see a deer like this.He was half again bigger than the largest doe.The wind was blowing hard quartering towards them at about 25mph with strong gusts.A good 300 yards from me.I sure felt like shooting but decided to circle around into the trees and get down wind and close the distance.

It was still just barely shooting light.By the time I got into a better position most of the deer buggered off including the bucks.There were sheets of rain coming down sideways at times.I figured with most of the deer in heavy bush it would be hard to see the buck and get a shot so better to try and intercept him on the way to a bedding area up the hill.

I was slipping along this long narrow opening in and out the tree line that has clover mowed down by cows pasturing in the summer heading to a skid trail up the hill and paused to study my suroundings.Off another skid trail into the opening the smaller 5 point shows up 50 yards in front of me.
    He got wind of me and peeled'er.

A little later I'm hunkered down just watching and a 3 pointer walks by me about 30 feet away or so.Didn't have a clue I was there.No,not this time.

I already got a 6 point elk so I don't really need any more meat.The rut is starting to happen so it will only get better for the month of November.

The rest of the day I didn't cover that much ground but every step counts when still hunting the bush, I was tired. Jumped a few deer.I found a good spot to sit later in the day and made a little blind where I saw the deer in the morning with a small folding saw I carry in my fanny pack.Just enough branches to cover my movement and to clear a shooting lane.

A doe here then another and a couple more then a few more show up and are feeding.I have deer anywhere from 200 yards to 45 yards from me.All I need is Mr. Big to show up.The wind dies down then the rain picks up.Then the rain is going sideways again.

I have a perfect rest to shoot from.It is starting to get dark.Any time now would be nice.I've got 9 live decoys feeding.Where are you?It is dark enough now I can barely make out a deer real close to me.

Finally I stand up and slowly slip away as to not disturb the does and work my way back to the truck.

What a great hunt.Maybe next time!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 4 whitetail bucks

Nice.

Sounds like you got it.

And I'll still bet on that big buck winning.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

great you got good bait there a doe in heat is the best ticket.

I just love being out and seeing game...

Any time chasing deer around is a good time... Especially when you already have a freezer full!

Good luck man, really enjoyed the play by play...thought we may see an "as it lays" photo...

wow, what a great day! I'm heading up somewhere between Merritt and Barriere for 3 days starting Monday so hoping I get a chance to even see one buck!

PS I'm basing out of Kamloops so if any kind souls want to point me in the right direction from there I'd be greatful. I've not had success over the last 7 years at Loon Lake and north of Princeton but finally ditched my pals that prefer to road hunt from ATVs. I much prefer being alone hiking in the forest and from all I've read on HBC over the years it should give me an opportunity some day.

Cheers,
    Mike
    forever noob

Sounds like a great hunt even though you didn't bag the big buck...

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    wow, what a great day! I'm heading up somewhere between Merritt and Barriere for 3 days starting Monday so hoping I get a chance to even see one buck!

PS I'm basing out of Kamloops so if any kind souls want to point me in the right direction from there I'd be greatful. I've not had success over the last 7 years at Loon Lake and north of Princeton but finally ditched my pals that prefer to road hunt from ATVs. I much prefer being alone hiking in the forest and from all I've read on HBC over the years it should give me an opportunity some day.

Cheers,
    Mike
    I hunted the Dewdrop on the north side of Kamloops lake in the later part of November in the snow and got a few 4 point mulies.You could try that area.Indian Gardens on the south side late season as well is worth looking at.I prefer the high ridges above the lake on the north side on foot.It can be a chore to get a deer to your truck.Better bring a pack and some ribbon or gps to find your deer if you have to leave it overnight.