Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero grouse. Been in region 2, 3 and 8.. not one.

Re: Zero grouse. Been in region 2, 3 and 8.. not one.

We saw quite a few this year, more spruce grouse than I've seen where i typically hunt too

On a trip into region 5 late September we had a good year for grouse. mostly spruce, some ruffed and my first two blue. More this year compared to the last few years in my mind.

I have seen 4 ruffed flying!! I have not shot any. Low numbers here this year. Wet spring and the chicks take a hit. I will not take any from here this year. Let them rebound.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I saw a ton of chick's this summer, but it seems like this fall numbers are way, way down. South Island.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    wet spring in many areas.
    This is the issue....however, I have seen a decent amount, but low numbers can usually be attributed to a wet spring...

I hunted hard for 2-1/2 days for them and got 6 I think, in Region 3. While deer hunting in region 8 near the end of October I got 5 (4 franklins and 1 ruffed) and saw a group of 10 blue grouse but was on a stalk (unsuccessful) of a buck so took solace in walking amongst them to about 5 feet away.

I was hunting new areas so no idea how that compares to other years, but all but one group seemed to be adults only so it seemed that chicks didn't fare well with the wet spring.
    forever noob

It's been a tough year in our areas that normally produce (Region 2 and 3) Killing deer and bear has been easier than bagging a single grouse, and we actually spent more time this year on the former lol

Less than average grouse and way more skittish. Finally came across a couple this morning that were not skittish and picked off one of them.

As the others have mentioned, an excessively wet spring will wreak havoc on the hatch. A very cold winter will kill off a few. A predator cycle will have an affect. Hunters will kill very few.

Last years hot spots might be in a totally different spots from year to year. Lots of hunting pressure will kill pockets of grouse along the roads. I believe quite a few hunters out this year.

I always have to switch my spots because it varies. A few years ago was a crazy year with grouse everywhere, but you have to find the hot spots and work them. One of my neighbors didn't see hardly any at the beginning of the season, so I turned him onto a stretch of lease road where I could've collected a dozen in a few hours.
    Profanity and insults are a poor substitute for knowledge and logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
    As the others have mentioned, an excessively wet spring will wreak havoc on the hatch. A very cold winter will kill off a few. A predator cycle will have an affect. Hunters will kill very few.

Last years hot spots might be in a totally different spots from year to year. Lots of hunting pressure will kill pockets of grouse along the roads. I believe quite a few hunters out this year.

I always have to switch my spots because it varies. A few years ago was a crazy year with grouse everywhere, but you have to find the hot spots and work them. One of my neighbors didn't see hardly any at the beginning of the season, so I turned him onto a stretch of lease road where I could've collected a dozen in a few hours.
    Hunting pressure might be a a factor in popular spots with resident pockets. We found a bunch of bird seed along some of our grousy spurs

Few grouse in 3- 29 last year,lots this year..
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-09-2020 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Correction