Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Late for Kamloops Bears?

Re: Too Late for Kamloops Bears?

Saw a ton of bears the last few springs and the last 2 falls so I know there's good population, but haven't seen a single one now this fall, not sure what's up. I have yet to see a buck of any kind this fall either in areas I've consistently seen dozens every fall, so just not my year I guess. Maybe, need to find some new spots. This has honestly been my most dismal and disappointing hunting season ever.

Re: Too Late for Kamloops Bears?

I think i did a poor job on my previous post.

What i wanted to say is, over many years, when i hunt MD in the area, its usually mid November.
    I see bear scat, but it is already weeks old if not a month old, and see the same thing year after year.
    Never fresh by the time i am hunting MD in there, BUT, i generally hunt MD low down...very low.
    But the scat tells me they are there on a yearly basis, and are using the area earlier, if not all early fall, if not summer long.

BUT, as soon as i venture higher up, either on the plateau drop offs or just below around the Red Rocks, i do see fresh sign quite often over the years.
    Fresh tracks in the snow, something i dont ever recall seeing down low at that time.

So, i am guessing what ever food source the bears were targeting has dried up by early fall down low.
    So, i am assuming they are starting to venture higher up, looking for who knows what and possibly sticking closer to their dens if need be (just making a guess???).

But in 30 years up there, whenever we have had snow, come mid november and till end of MD season, i cant recall ever seeing a single fresh track down low.
    Only up top near the drop offs.
    Just my experiences, but others could say complete opposite.
    Mind you, i dont hunt close to any orchards/dumps or near township limits either where i go.