Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    5

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Looks like the link has a login page I can't get passed.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    238

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Was there any talk on stopping the "doe" hunt on either species as the deer populations in BC is decimated
    ?????
    And That Is That

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    5

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Here's the link, looks like they uploaded it to youtube! Super interesting information on mortality rates and causes. Looks like food abundance is more important than predation rates for long term mule deer survival.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O3nxEfs1yA

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    region 9
    Posts
    8,418

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradobill View Post
    Here's the link, looks like they uploaded it to youtube! Super interesting information on mortality rates and causes. Looks like food abundance is more important than predation rates for long term mule deer survival.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O3nxEfs1yA
    Thank you for posting....

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,301

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Quote Originally Posted by hntcrazy View Post
    Was there any talk on stopping the "doe" hunt on either species as the deer populations in BC is decimated
    ?????
    Are you saying that the BC whitetail deer population has been decimated?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    3,845

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    It was good. It was recorded, so hopefully it will be put out on youtube or somewhere.

    Found the predator impact sections most interesting. Don't know if too many will like the predator impact findings from down in the states - similar mule deer mortality in predator control area vs. non-predator control area. But didn't get into why, like were predators were just keeping populations at winter carrying capacity in the non-predator control area, etc...?

    The animation (video) overlaid on maps of migration data by date was pretty neat. They can get some pretty cool things with GPS now. Also, the average migration start times were a bit earlier than I expected.

    Was it interesting, had it up on the tv and my kids sat through the whole presentation, so ya.
    I found that interesting too. I'm thinking with robust ungulate populations, at or near carrying capacity, predation is not a major factor. For example, if you have a herd of 5000 deer and in their range you have four cougars, you won't notice the 200 deer the cougars take annually. If however, you only have a few hundred or a thousand in the same area, with the same four cats, then the 200 taken may drive the population down, especially if habitat is sub-optimal.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Quote Originally Posted by hntcrazy View Post
    Was there any talk on stopping the "doe" hunt on either species as the deer populations in BC is decimated
    ?????

    Short answer? Nope, there was not. The talk was an update on the Southern Interior Mule Deer study, meaning it was limited to mule deer in the 4 areas, what they do, and what kills them. It didn't address whitetail at all, as they aren't part of the study.

    There are no GOS on muley does in any of those areas.

    There are LEH opportunities for muley does, but I'm not sure if there was any data presented in the webinar indicating that any of the collared mule deer does were killed by hunters. I will try to get back and take a look to see if hunter harvest turns up in the mortality records.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fish Limb, B.C.
    Posts
    1,287

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Short answer? Nope, there was not. The talk was an update on the Southern Interior Mule Deer study, meaning it was limited to mule deer in the 4 areas, what they do, and what kills them. It didn't address whitetail at all, as they aren't part of the study.

    There are no GOS on muley does in any of those areas.

    There are LEH opportunities for muley does, but I'm not sure if there was any data presented in the webinar indicating that any of the collared mule deer does were killed by hunters. I will try to get back and take a look to see if hunter harvest turns up in the mortality records.
    At the 53:16 mark of the video it shows that 2 of 83 mortalities (or 2.4%) were due to harvesting.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

    ^^^^^ Thanks!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •