Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Short answer? Nope, there was not. The talk was an update on the Southern Interior Mule Deer study, meaning it was limited to mule deer in the 4 areas, what they do, and what kills them. It didn't address whitetail at all, as they aren't part of the study.

There are no GOS on muley does in any of those areas.

There are LEH opportunities for muley does, but I'm not sure if there was any data presented in the webinar indicating that any of the collared mule deer does were killed by hunters. I will try to get back and take a look to see if hunter harvest turns up in the mortality records.
    Yes, some of the area do offer Doe LEH.
    And yes, a few of the Doe could be easily harvested from what i encountered.
    I just hope folks with those leh tags are smart enough to leave these collared/tagged deer alone.
    But i am not overly optimistic that some will unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yes, some of the area do offer Doe LEH.
    And yes, a few of the Doe could be easily harvested from what i encountered.
    I just hope folks with those leh tags are smart enough to leave these collared/tagged deer alone.
    But i am not overly optimistic that some will unfortunately.
    I worked on this project helping two of our local biologists in its early stages and helped tag a doe. Believe it or not, they specifically said if a hunter has an antlerless tag they do not want them to avoid harvesting because of a collar, they simply want it returned and recorded. Non biased approach. Based on the 2.4% mortality rate due to hunters, it appears that we are not a major issue. But there will be people who insist we shut down any doe season because they refuse to believe the science.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I worked on this project helping two of our local biologists in its early stages and helped tag a doe. Believe it or not, they specifically said if a hunter has an antlerless tag they do not want them to avoid harvesting because of a collar, they simply want it returned and recorded. Non biased approach. Based on the 2.4% mortality rate due to hunters, it appears that we are not a major issue. But there will be people who insist we shut down any doe season because they refuse to believe the science.
    That is 2.4% of the study group was killed so for the study group we are not a major factor. In areas where there is an open season on Whitetails does the accidental killing of Mule deer does is not recorded and very few if any of these mistakes are reported. So the complete amount of pressure being put on the Mule deer doe population is not being looked at. We need to keep the Mule deer doe population strong and within the buck to doe ratios and at the carrying capacity of their wintering grounds. There need to be further work on improving the habitat so these deer can make it through winter in better condition and produce stronger fawns in the spring. I have some faith that these reasearchers all looking the current studies and models to protect these great animals, and if we are able to accept the science then we should be able to accept the nessessary changes that support the science. Hunters are and should be the front line of animal conservation.

Interesting, so maybe a better approach could be only pretty liberal LEH whitetail doe tags in areas where mulies are threatened because we can assume some decent percent of people hunting general whitetail does are shit at ID'ing the right species.

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    That is 2.4% of the study group was killed so for the study group we are not a major factor. In areas where there is an open season on Whitetails does the accidental killing of Mule deer does is not recorded and very few if any of these mistakes are reported. So the complete amount of pressure being put on the Mule deer doe population is not being looked at. We need to keep the Mule deer doe population strong and within the buck to doe ratios and at the carrying capacity of their wintering grounds. There need to be further work on improving the habitat so these deer can make it through winter in better condition and produce stronger fawns in the spring. I have some faith that these reasearchers all looking the current studies and models to protect these great animals, and if we are able to accept the science then we should be able to accept the nessessary changes that support the science. Hunters are and should be the front line of animal conservation.

Estimated Population mortality rates include ALL causes of mortality.

With that, accidental killing of Mule deer is included and accounted for within management decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Thanks, good points you brought up.
    I guess i was concerned that it is so hard to get these projects to happen, that you want to get as much info as possible.
    And, in this area, there has been a ton of changes to the landscape over the past 30 years now, and i have wondered how
    "migration patterns" have changed as it must have been impacted.
    But yes, there is much more to that study then just migration.
    Hunting is one, but it is good to see (and i think many of us know this already), that hunting is not the major impact.

One thing, i had to have a huge laugh however on whoever was responsible for that diagram of the Arrowstone MD and their migration area when the study
    was first getting under way.
    That aint right, imo.
    Still haven't watched it all so i am interested to see what is on there about that for info.

I watched it and the key message was...wait for more data and analysis. There are some interesting tidbits, like different winter survival between the study areas, but they need another couple more years and more time to analyze the data. they Now have a pile of data...

Just wondering with this study, how much is accounted for "poaching"?
    Hate to say it, but the Arrowstone area gets hit hard, and i have encounter quite a few kills (by rifle/poacher), where deer are just left to rot.
    A few Doe just laying there (and i doubt they were lost kills, imo) and a few bucks with horns cut off.
    And this season, someone dropped a barely legal 4 point, and then must of encountered a 5pt, and shot it.
    Left the small buck to rot, took antlers from 5pt and just a little portion of meat.

I doubt these are reported and i know they are not investigated as we encountered a CO and he was going to take the time to hike up.

I am glad for the study, and the "natural" hazards that MD might succumb to, and at what age and when etc.
    Its needed!!!

But, how to factor in the poaching?
    All areas in BC encounter it, BUT, some areas it happens a lot, constantly, while other areas it is not as big of an issue.
    The Arrowstone area is one of those "bad areas", imo, from my experiences there.