Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

A lot of you know about the Southern Interior Mule Deer Project. BCWF, in collaboration with UBCO, the University of Idaho, the Okanagan Nation Alliance and the BC F&W Branch have been conducting this project for a couple years now.

Broad strokes the idea was to monitor mule deer with camera traps and collars in 4 areas - 2 that were burned and 2 that were not.

We wanted to find out what was going on with mule deer - where they go, how pregnant they get, how many fawns survive, who kills them, etc. It's good info to have if you want to have an intact ecosystem and you want to keep hunting muleys.

So....November 10, 7:00, next Tuesday, there's a webinar that you can attend to find out wtf is going on with the mule deer of SIMDeer.

You can register for the webinar right here:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...rid=1702520019

You can find out more about SIMDeer here:

https://bcwf.bc.ca/initiatives/mule-...rid=1702520019

Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BCWF Mule Deer Webinar

Thanks for posting Rob...just curious: do you know if they've done any recent surveys regarding buck:doe ratios lately?

Thanks. Appreciate the link.

Harry:

"do you know if they've done any recent surveys regarding buck:doe ratios lately?"

I don't know, but I'd bet $20 that they have and will share that kind of info. I haven't followed it as closely as I'd like but what I did here last year was high pregnancy rates. If I remember correctly this year they collared fawns to see how high pregnancy rates progressed through survival (trying to find out how many fawns survive and what eats them).
    Rob Chipman

Any one try to get on? Only one hundred people can take part. Was interested in learning something

Tried logging into the zoom meeting but it was full after 100 participants

Couldn’t get on. Only 100 participants....

I couldn't get on either but hopefully someone who got in can chime in on here and provide us a summary...

It was good. It was recorded, so hopefully it will be put out on youtube or somewhere.

Found the predator impact sections most interesting. Don't know if too many will like the predator impact findings from down in the states - similar mule deer mortality in predator control area vs. non-predator control area. But didn't get into why, like were predators were just keeping populations at winter carrying capacity in the non-predator control area, etc...?

The animation (video) overlaid on maps of migration data by date was pretty neat. They can get some pretty cool things with GPS now. Also, the average migration start times were a bit earlier than I expected.

Was it interesting, had it up on the tv and my kids sat through the whole presentation, so ya.

Recorded version is here for those who were unable to get in (I was shut out myself!)

https://ca.workplace.datto.com/webho...8&saauth=false

I'm going to look into future editions of these sorts of webinars *not* being limited to 100 people. Hopefully we have the technology.
    Rob Chipman