Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Here We Go ......

Re: Here We Go ......

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Manitoba or Yukon are where most of my transfer applications are pending, Once a position opens up with one of them I’ll be hitting the dusty trail. Though I have more than enjoyed BC and everything it’s offered, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to start, and learn how to hunt than here! But in the grand scheme my livelihood and future is more important than good hunting and pretty mountains.
    I guess I better get my ass in gear and pick up the ammo
    forever noob

Bugle,

You asked, "I wonder if some of what we are seeing is just folks with similar interests just "fighting for the remaining crumbs"??"....

I've heard the answer first hand many times from FN Chiefs, Leaders, Elders and young Warriors for decades.
    The definitive answer is NO.

FN's consider themselves still at war with Colonists.

Their desire and actions are for the long term purpose to retake full control of the Land and all its resources.
    We are simply currently in a "cease-fire", with little to no violence. A time to gain strength and strategic position.

Canada's legal system is being used against Canada by FNs to gain ground.
    Whether it is animals, or fish, or land claims, the intent is to regain Full control, piece by piece for now.
    And the strategy is working.

It won't belong now ( a few decades) and BC as you know it will cease to exist.

Bugle:

I think you're providing some good food for thought. I am also of the opinion that the government has contributed to a conflict that I think will get worse before it gets better (and I think it's important that all of us try to navigate that potential conflict in a way that minimizes it as much as possible).

Indigenous people have many concerns, and not all of them share all the concerns that other Indigenous people do. I think it's important that hunter-conservationists recognize that our concerns over wildlife and landbase access are only a small part of what most Indigenous people see as the problem. Limiting resident hunters isn't always a conservation move. It's also an expression of sovereignty, and from that point of view it certainly does correct something from the POV of the group doing the limiting. I think it's important to consider that because it directly impacts your question about how things would be if we had healthy fish and game populations and how your tax dollars get spent.

There are guidelines. They are vague and subject to interpretation by the courts. The vagueness contributes to the problem. Sec 35, UNDRIP and Bill 41 are the guidelines.

One thing that isn't vague is the idea of traditional rights vs traditional means. That ship sailed, and it did so through the courts.

Walking Buffalo:

Same thing. Excellent observation, with the disclaimer that not all Indigenous people feel they are at war with the colonists, but that theme is certainly a real one.

Additionally, when people say "It should be this way or that way" it's wise to remember what you've pointed out: Canada's legal system is very often the tool being used. It's been used for years, and used very effectively. I'm not making any sort of moral judgement when I say this, but First Nations law is an industry that employs an awful lot of people and generates an awful lot of money. There are successful long lasting law firms that depend on it. There may be a few law firms that concentrate on wildlife, fish and habitat, but they're few and far between and aren't very influential. I doubt if there is any law firm that concentrates on any sort of hunter rights.

It's worthwhile letting that sink in (and I recognize that it sank in with you a long time ago).

If we don't recognize that and start responding to it effectively then your last statement has a much greater chance of becoming reality. (Yes, I am saying that the response "I don't follow native law and I'll just be a poacher so they can all blow me" is fun to say, but isn't realistic or effective).
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckler View Post
    If you want to see the direction this province is headed read the "Together for Wildlife Strategy" that was released by the NDP:

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads...e-strategy.pdf

I think it's inline with the summary Rob posted.
    Reading that, it seems to be more about relations and reconciliation. Really nothing directly beneficial to the wildlife of BC. Just a lot of wordy words about satisfying one group of people, wildlife is just the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Bugle,

You asked, "I wonder if some of what we are seeing is just folks with similar interests just "fighting for the remaining crumbs"??"....

I've heard the answer first hand many times from FN Chiefs, Leaders, Elders and young Warriors for decades.
    The definitive answer is NO.

FN's consider themselves still at war with Colonists.

Their desire and actions are for the long term purpose to retake full control of the Land and all its resources.
    We are simply currently in a "cease-fire", with little to no violence. A time to gain strength and strategic position.

Canada's legal system is being used against Canada by FNs to gain ground.
    Whether it is animals, or fish, or land claims, the intent is to regain Full control, piece by piece for now.
    And the strategy is working.

It won't belong now ( a few decades) and BC as you know it will cease to exist.
    This is true^^^
    Only thing is, if a person thinks he can run to another Province that won't work because, the plan is to work on the bookends (east-west) and squeeze inward until it envelopes the entire Country. This isn't going to be just for BC's enjoyment, it will be for all Canadian's to enjoy.

I, at one time thought our judicial system was what made our Country great, but now realize I was wrong. It is what makes our Country vulnerable to corruption from those wishing access to our resources, and also...Judges don't always get it right, in fact sometimes they get it completely wrong, by completely wrong I mean....the interpretation from a historic document and then to connect that to a contemporary time seems to leave me puzzled.

Is it a similar situation in other provinces?

That is to say, if access to hunting gets somewhat clawed back, could a person move to another province where there would be more opportunity to hunt?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Is it a similar situation in other provinces?

That is to say, if access to hunting gets somewhat clawed back, could a person move to another province where there would be more opportunity to hunt?
    From what I know IW each Province is different. No treaties signed in BC but there is right next door in Alberta. So at this point we don’t have the same issues here that you have in BC. They also don’t call it a “status” card here; it’s a “treaty” card. Essentially the same thing though.

BC will fall into the hands of the FN. as stated above it isn’t about the wildlife...it’s about control of the wildlife. I believe we should all fall under the same set of rules. Although that will never happen. I started out hunting in Alberta and moved to the northwest coast 3 years ago. It seems to me their is much more conflict with FN here..and they control and dictate much more of the hunting and fishing resources. I work and have fished with some FNs who are fantastic people and have included me into their culture and showed me their practices but their is no denying it is having a negative affect on populations (salmon) and then for their elders and chiefs to blame us is really quite frustrating...
    Tom

I don't see the outrage. If the tables were turn, most of you would be doing the same, trying to reclaim resources. I would. No doubt the future will be different, but there is a lot of land and hunting out there. We just got to stop Rinella from promoting it.