Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here We Go ......

Here We Go ......

Penticton
    PIB natural resources director explains opposition to bighorn sheep hunting in South Okanagan

PIB explains bighorn issue

Dale Boyd / Local Journalism Initiative - Nov 2, 2020 / 1:56 pm | Story: 315223
    Photo: Mike Biden

The harvest of a California bighorn sheep east of Penticton has led to the Penticton Indian Band (PIB) calling for a stop to harvesting the species until it can get back on its feet.
    After the harvest of a ram in the Upper Carmi area came to the attention of the PIB, the band released a statement on Oct. 22 requesting a moratorium from the province, which issues tags to harvest the at-risk species.
    “The issuance of hunting licenses without our community’s free, prior and informed consent has been an ongoing issue for many years,” said newly elected PIB Chief Greg Gabriel. “This is unacceptable; the Penticton Indian Band must be meaningfully and appropriately engaged regarding any and all decisions pertaining to the harvest of our tmixw within our unceded Territorial lands.”
    For years the PIB has been working on restoration and enhancement programs to protect the herd which was imperilled a few years ago with an outbreak of a severe infestation which closes up the ears of the animals. The California bighorn sheep are also highly vulnerable and sensitive to human disturbance, forest development and grazing competition, according to James Pepper, PIB director for natural resources.
    In 2016 the band launched a multi-year collaborative program to support the local populations and rid them of Psoroptes ovis, a disease which was leading to significant population declines.
    “Their population was in extreme decline so we partnered with the province, and with some veterinarians and the band, and we built a sheep enclosure and worked to experiment to find cures for that disease,” Pepper said. “Now on the other side of the valley, the herd is in better shape, there is more of them, but they are also susceptible to a variety of different diseases as well as forest encroachment, houses, land alienation, cattle that are grazing everywhere.”
    There are a couple of groups of bighorn sheep stretching south past the Canada/U.S. border and roughly divided east and west by the Okanagan Valley’s lakes.
    There are less than ten tags given out by the province in the Okanagan area to harvest bighorn sheep which are given out in a draw — one of which the hunter seen harvesting the sheep in the Carmi area possessed.
    “He produced his tag indicating he was legally allowed to harvest that animal. So that was brought back to the elders and knowledge keepers of the community and to the community itself. At this time the band doesn’t feel those sheep should be harvested, the population isn’t robust enough,” Pepper said.
    The PIB also said in the statement it is looking to have more input with the province when it comes to hunting and the issuance of licenses in the area.
    Pepper said he has spoken with provincial authorities — who declined to comment due to the interim period of government between elections. The province gives roughly five or six tags for harvesting bighorn sheep a year. The PIB would asking none be given out until the population can get back on its feet. Not only are the Okanagan sheep susceptible to disease, the population is still quite young and undeveloped.
    “There are very few, if any, that even have that curl anymore because the population isn’t diversified. So there are a lot of young males, and that was the one that was harvested, but it’s not a robust enough population from the opinion of elders and knowledge keepers with the Penticton Indian Band, to allow for harvest at this time,” Pepper said.
    With recent outbreaks of disease and the active efforts by the PIB and conservation organizations to develop sheep habitat, including the Wild Sheep Society of BC, the harvesting of the young ram provoked a response from the PIB.
    “There are a lot of people involved in trying to restore the habitat for these herds, and then to have hunting allowed while we’re trying to restore a population was counterintuitive,” Pepper said.
    “The harvest has been going on for many years, this isn’t a new thing, but it’s still going and the sheep are not, in the opinion of elders and knowledge keepers of the Penticton Indian Band, the populations are not robust enough to handle harvest loads right now. They need to wait a little bit. A little bit of harvest could occur, but not licensed hunters.”

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Here We Go ......

I love the last line....

"A little bit of harvest could occur,
    Just not by licensed hunters."

Time to Cowboy up.

This should be interesting. The Government Bios do a lot of work and monitor those areas pretty damn well in my opinion.

There's not doubt that the Okanagan bands have taken a hit over the last decade, but to say "There are very few, if any, that have a curl anymore because the population isn't diversified" says a lot on the type of investigating/research they've done in the area. I haven't spent a ton of time in the area, but never had issues locating 3/4 rams.

I believe this year alone there was over 80 sheep counted at the Vaseux lake sheep count.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Yes, pay attention to "not licensed hunters."

We are going to see more and more of this and with Horgan re-elected, well I think we are going to have incredibly frustrating times ahead.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Some sort of shit, "on our end" has to start hitting the fan soon.

Thinking more in lines how how the folks back east deal with issues and FN.
    Road blocks, cant hunt here, our land, only us type crap every day now.
    Meanwhile, its okay to throw nets across rivers, all in the name of "traditional" and yet by doing so, ignore all conservation efforts by targeting all species.
    But hey, i can shoot in your back yard!

Sounds like you guys most just love your FN's up around Penticton...sound like a swell bunch of folks!!!

**** you guys have it rough, I’m so glad that I haven’t laid down any roots in this province because it’s a god damn joke at best.. it was nice to live here and enjoy the beauty and hunting for a few years but everyday I’m reminded more and more why I’m moving to a province with a backbone that’ll tell these fools to fly a kite.

Just another group trying to shut down our ability to enjoy hunting

Once again this has nothing to do with conservation ,or California < wonder how long it is before the FN's + NDP change there name > Bighorn Sheep . Its all about a new Chief who is another spin off of Chief Stewart Phillips flexing his muscles ,control and $$$$$ . Remember they are keepers of the land ...LOL
    We as sportsman are going to be once again put under the bus and shit on .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

I just wasted an hour writing a long and thoughtful post on this topic, and then deleted it ... don't want to get banned. LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."