Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways to cook the ducks and goose

Ways to cook the ducks and goose

Hi Everyone,

We are all talking about hunting here, mostly regarding to how to get the birds down from the sky. However, once the birds are down, we don't talk much about it. I guess everyone has their own way to cook it.

I like hunting, and I also like cooking a lot. So after I got the ducks, I tried about 3-4 different ways to cook it so far.

1. This is my new method, cook the duck as a whole on BBQ.

I need to pluck the feathers (I am too lazy with the wing, so I cut it out)

Then I put a lot of grinded cumming seeds on there (inside and outside).

Then I BBQ it for 60-80 min. I brush the outside with sauce (Oyster sauce + honey + some water) at 30min, and at 50min.

Then take it out from the rack and slice it. I sometimes dip into some hot pepper sauce or so.

2. I also tried some Chinese way to cook it, but it is too complicated to explain it here. Here are some pictures:

This is the Chinese Youtube I followed. I know most of you don't speak Chinese, but it doesn't hurt to watch how the chief cook the duck.

https://youtu.be/icYEudj3CCQ
    Last edited by JcNemo; 11-02-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typos

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ways to cook the ducks and goose

Looks very good
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Those barbecued ducks look amazing! I usually breast the ducks, freeze the meat in 3-5 pound vacuum sealed packs, and then have pepperoni, hot Italian sausage, and smokies made out of it at Sumas Meats. Even after two limits of birds, though, I'm already getting a little tired of processing them. And the season has just begun for me,,,,,but I'll get used to it. lol

From today:

Agreed the bbq duck looks great.

There are still many ways I haven't tried to do ducks. I don't do the wings of ducks or geese either as there isn't much meat there IMO.

Most of the time I grill the breasts like steaks. I don't oversauce them as I want to taste the duckiness or goosiness. If I am serving it to people who are new to the taste of wild duck or goose I will provide them a dipping sauce like hoisin, chili or a sweet berry sauce.

A very good book I've been using is called "Duck Duck Goose". It is specifically about cooking wild duck and goose.

I got my first snowie of the season on Saturday so I'll be looking up something for that.

When working we would cube it and slow cook all day while at work. We added a big can of Habitant vegetable soup to the pot. Did 2 ducks or 1 goose that way. Melts in your mouth.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Agreed the bbq duck looks great.

There are still many ways I haven't tried to do ducks. I don't do the wings of ducks or geese either as there isn't much meat there IMO.

Most of the time I grill the breasts like steaks. I don't oversauce them as I want to taste the duckiness or goosiness. If I am serving it to people who are new to the taste of wild duck or goose I will provide them a dipping sauce like hoisin, chili or a sweet berry sauce.

A very good book I've been using is called "Duck Duck Goose". It is specifically about cooking wild duck and goose.

I got my first snowie of the season on Saturday so I'll be looking up something for that.
    Congrats on your snow goose on Saturday. Are there a lot of them now? or just starting to coming in? I have tried Canada Goose and Ducks so far, and is looking forward to try a snow goose. I heard snow goose taste very fishy and is hard to get rid of the game flavour. But hey, it is always interesting to try new things. Let me know what the taste difference between Snow and Canada and Ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    When working we would cube it and slow cook all day while at work. We added a big can of Habitant vegetable soup to the pot. Did 2 ducks or 1 goose that way. Melts in your mouth.
    When you talking about cube, are you talking about just to cube the breast meat? Or are you talking about cubing the entire duck? (including all the bones, legs, breast, back, etc). I find it is kind gamy taste when I cook the entire duck in the soup............. or maybe I didn't put enough ginger and alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Those barbecued ducks look amazing! I usually breast the ducks, freeze the meat in 3-5 pound vacuum sealed packs, and then have pepperoni, hot Italian sausage, and smokies made out of it at Sumas Meats. Even after two limits of birds, though, I'm already getting a little tired of processing them. And the season has just begun for me,,,,,but I'll get used to it. lol

From today:

Congrats on your duck, and VERY NICE DOG..... I have been acting like dogs and try to pick up and find every fallen ducks........ lol

When I get a fat duck (mostly mature ducks, the ducks of the year usually just have a skim coat of fat) I like to pluck them and roast them slowly at 275-300 F. I just season them with salt and pepper and rap them in bacon and roast with the lid on and watch for the shot. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    When I get a fat duck (mostly mature ducks, the ducks of the year usually just have a skim coat of fat) I like to pluck them and roast them slowly at 275-300 F. I just season them with salt and pepper and rap them in bacon and roast with the lid on and watch for the shot. Yummy.
    I do the same without the bacon, low and slow with S&P with some garlic powder. I usually put the carrots and potatoes in with the duck in the casserole dish and roast it all together then smother it all in butter once it's plated.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF