Thread: Learning, Need help with geese!

Learning, Need help with geese!

Hey folks, so I’ve developed a new addiction to waterfowl hunting! Got started a bit last year around boundary bay and this year I’ve received permission to hunt a farm east of mission. Theres a nice pond at the back of the farm that I’ve had good success on for ducks. Each time we go out we see lots and lots of geese flying over and I’d love to target them but I’m not sure the best way to do that. There’s winter wheat planted on most of the fields on the farm which the geese apparently frequent but every time I’ve been there I have seen no geese on the fields. I’ve got about 2 dozen 2d goose silhouettes we made out of old election signs we can set up. My question is do geese land on the fields in the morning or more in the evening? And how do I go about selecting where to set up for geese, it seems random to just pick a spot and hope they like it. Any advise is appreciated, absolutely loving the ducks so far just want to take advantage of all the geese around too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Learning, Need help with geese!

You need to find out where they are landing / feeding and try to set up as close to that spot as possible with a bit of cover to hide yourself in.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Re: Learning, Need help with geese!

Generally just like us once geese wake up they will want to move from their roost to a get a quick feed for their first movement. Breakfast! Like us they probably don't want to go too far or too long before their first meal. Later, throughout the day they may move to different fields to feed or socialize at different places and may be pickier (plus the visibility is greater). Then near the end of the day - like us - they want dinner and then go home to their roost. Visibility will be lower so there can be opportunities then too.

So part of your scouting is that you need to find out where they roost and be somewhere between their roost and where they like to feed or ideally exactly where they feed. I would revisit that farm at dawn and see if they are landing then. Or ask the farm owner what his/her observations are. When you say you saw them flying over, make note of the directions and try to trail them back to their roost and then see if you can access near the roost. Where they roost is where they feel safe to hunker down and sleep like water bodies or flats.