Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which breed???

Re: Which breed???

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post

The poodles were bred as a hunting dog in Germany. How the French called them theirs is a mystery.
    Just an idea . . . . .
    Kids need a dog !
    There was only one Hunting Pudel bred in Germany which was the Koenigspudel,modern Poodels don't have much of Hunting qualities in them any more.

If you google up flat coated retriever breeders in canada it will pull up a list for you. I am on my second flat coat and have a pup coming from the states in December. There are not a lot of breeders so you may have to wait a while. We were on a half dozen wait lists until we were able to secure a pup.
    It aint easy being green

Just a few tidbits of info about breeders:

Good breeders don't usually have to advertise. They have waiting lists for perspective owners. Some like to match pups with their new owners while others put your name on a priority list in the order you put a down payment on a pup. Good breeders will sell their pups with a health warranty, usually 30 months. You're obviously going to pay more for a pup for this benefit compared to a backyard breeder who probably didn't do the appropriate health clearances before breeding their dog.

Good bird dogs are still reasonably priced,,,,, (approx. $2000) compared to designer dogs that aren't even purebreds, like any of the doodles out there ($3000+). Some bird dog breeders will ONLY sell their pups to people who plan on hunting them. Personally, I think this is a good thing and didn't mind being put through the ringer about what my plans were for a perspective pup.

If for any reason a pup/dog ever needs to be re-homed a good breeder will almost always take the dog back and find a good owner for it. Good breeders are usually there for you right up until you have an older dog to help answer any questions you may have. In other words, their contact with you doesn't end when the pup leaves their property.

On a side note,,,,,,my griff came with a non breeding contract which could have been rescinded just as long as the dog passed all it's health clearances (hips, elbows, eyes, etc.) at the minimum age of two and was able to get a minimum 106 pts. out of a possible 112 pts. on a Natural Ability hunt test through NAVDHA.

I had no desire to breed her but my pup would have easily passed those tests. I had her spayed at 18 months of age which is often another requirement the breeders wants to buyer to follow, otherwise they won't honour the health guarantee.

As far as I'm concerned, breeding should be left to those who really know what they're doing. It's not just a matter of throwing two good hunting dogs together and hoping it works out. Do your homework and you'll end up getting a great pup! Just be prepared to be put on a waiting list.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good post. Hope the OP follows this.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Appreciate all the feedback! Thank you!

Pups are definitely hard to come buy during the pandemic and the less popular ones are even harder. Either the breeders aren't having pups because of the insecurity of the pandemic and scared to get stuck with a full litter of puppies or they are flying out the door because everyone is stuck at home and bored out of their minds and want a pup.

I looked across Canada when I was looking for a new Chesapeake Bay Retriever and I couldn't find a litter that was registered with lineage I was willing to drop $2000+ on so I had to look south of the border. It was a logistical nightmare trying to fly a puppy across the USA and into Canada and I have a suspicious feeling with the way things are going with the pandemic it's only going to get harder to get a puppy into the country as things start to lock down again.

Do your research and good luck in your decision.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Pups are definitely hard to come buy during the pandemic and the less popular ones are even harder. Either the breeders aren't having pups because of the insecurity of the pandemic and scared to get stuck with a full litter of puppies or they are flying out the door because everyone is stuck at home and bored out of their minds and want a pup.

I looked across Canada when I was looking for a new Chesapeake Bay Retriever and I couldn't find a litter that was registered with lineage I was willing to drop $2000+ on so I had to look south of the border. It was a logistical nightmare trying to fly a puppy across the USA and into Canada and I have a suspicious feeling with the way things are going with the pandemic it's only going to get harder to get a puppy into the country as things start to lock down again.

Do your research and good luck in your decision.

Marc.
    I guess if you live in a border town you could always drive across to pick your pup up,,,,that's if you're brave enough and then follow the Canadian two week self isolation protocol that we have in place on your return. If it was along drive I'd probably stay in my vehicle to sleep just to be safer unless you had two drivers. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    "toy poodles"????
    Yes, toy poodles, Rosybud had a litter of two. One white, One phantom. Both sold and eyes are not yet open. Should be any day now. Scammer. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...-oct-1.5780512

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    Yes, toy poodles, Rosybud had a litter of two. One white, One phantom. Both sold and eyes are not yet open. Should be any day now. Scammer. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...-oct-1.5780512
    So what would the anabolic steroid dosage have to be for a toy poodle to be able to carry a 10+ pound goose? Even my 50 lb. griff struggles at times with the biguns if they're more than 50 yards.

Last edited by mastercaster; 10-31-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    So what would the anabolic steroid dosage have to be for a toy poodle to be able to carry a 10+ pound goose? Even my 50 lb. griff struggles at times with the biguns if they're more than 50 yards.
    Doesn't matter which steroids. BOTH SOLD. Point I was making was how fast they sold. Eyes not even opened and sold but you knew that right. If our pups sell that fast, Pretty sure other breeders sell fast too.