Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which breed???

Which breed???

Miss having a dog. For the past 10 years I abstained from getting one due to work circumstances and not being home enough to be "fair to the dog"... now, this has changed and I am seriously considering getting a dog again. Always had a flat coated retriever, but they appear to not be very common here in Canada? I like the idea of having a "water friendly" dog who enjoys hanging out while fishing but could also get into duck/goose hunting with me. Family/kid friendly a must (well, most dogs are).

Any suggestions? Never got a dog here in Canada, where is the best way to go? Not really into supporting the SPCA as an organization, and the idea of a rescue is not really my thing. Rather get a puppy... Do you go on Craigslist?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which breed???

You could check out the ckc breed clubs to contact one of them for a list of breeders.
    https://www.ckc.ca/clubs/default.aspx

Of course that's once you choose a breed.
    Here is a list of the Sporting Dog breeds,
    https://www.ckc.ca/en/Choosing-a-Dog.../Sporting-Dogs

Oh, and this part is important,
    https://www.ckc.ca/en/Choosing-a-Dog...ntable-Breeder

I hope this helps a bit...
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 10-30-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Seeing more and more of the 'doodle' cross bred dogs around now.
    Haven't seen one that isn't enthusiastic . . . . tails are always wagging. They just look happy.
    Owners say that they shed very little.
    The poodles were bred as a hunting dog in Germany. How the French called them theirs is a mystery.
    Just an idea . . . . .
    Kids need a dog !

Be prepared to pay. Dogs are a hot commodity right now. Craigslist is the worst place to look. Be wary of scams too. We breed Maltese and toy poodles but my wife has a list of people wanting her puppies going into next year. She does not have to advertise. It is word of mouth.

Ive done a few hunt tests here on Van Isle and there's a couple people that run flat coats. I can inquire and get a contacts for you if you like?

"toy poodles"????

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    Be prepared to pay. Dogs are a hot commodity right now. Craigslist is the worst place to look. Be wary of scams too. We breed Maltese and toy poodles but my wife has a list of people wanting her puppies going into next year. She does not have to advertise. It is word of mouth.

Really? I would really appreciate that....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Ive done a few hunt tests here on Van Isle and there's a couple people that run flat coats. I can inquire and get a contacts for you if you like?

Ok, so I am bringing myself up-to-speed as clearly my knowledge on "how to get a dog" is vastly outdated. I have a dumb question: I am used to "let a dog choose you".... how does this work with a breeder? Or does it? You pay up-front and they choose the pup for you? What are the "rules of engagement" with a breeder?

My family has been looking for a dog as well. It’s been a challenge. Demand and prices have increased significantly with Covid.
    Research your breeds and the breeders. We have a couple breeds we have narrowed down to but are now waiting for opportunities for puppies.
    best of luck to you.

First thing you should think of is What is the purpose of the dog.....companion dog or hunting dog!?
    How much hunting are you going to do with the dog?
    What are you going to hunt?
    These two factors are necessary to figure out breed,too many folks got dogs with too much "go".
    If it is a Hunting breed,how much training are you willing to put in?

Rainer