Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you say if I had asked...

What would you say if I had asked...

So...our two week moose hunting trip around pink mountain for the end of Sept had to be changed to a one week mainly deer hunt in the Chilcotin mountains last week (Oct 18-24) camped at Marshall Lake. Now the Google says to drive from Pemberton from Lilloett on the 99, but also suggests going through D'arcy and on the Highline Rd, through Seton Portage. So we figured although this Highline Rd route is a shorter distance, but takes longer as it's not paved, and maybe we could run into some wildlife along the way, see the country, and maybe hunt around Seton Portage area as well. None of us had ever been there.

We ended up taking the Highline Rd. Ford F150 towing a 16 ft cargo trailer with two quads, boat, gear, gas, etc. The road ended up taking years off my life! By far, the scariest road I have ever driven with a trailer. Maybe fine if you're just in a truck and not afraid of heights. I've been a member for a while, and post here and there, but didn't feel comfortable asking advice.

After driving the road, I'm curious what people would say..."Don't do it with a trailer" or "road is fine and your a baby" or what? So if I had asked on here before taking that route...what would your advice have been?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What would you say if I had asked...

I haven't driven that road in a few years but I know the area well. Years ago there was a thread asking which was the most dangerous and scary road in BC and I suggested that road. It might be shorter but it is definitely not faster.

You'd be amazed what goes up and down that hill. It is steep and the corners are sharp but I think it is a stable and safe road.

The road to my cabin is similar, but steeper and more narrow and they haul logs over it. When I took my 20' cargo over and back it was stressful but I never felt unsafe.

Thank of it this way-- now you've got a great story to tell.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Not a fan!

Lots of washboard too!

Whenever I think of the Highline road this movie flashes through my head from my childhood. That road was a lot of fun on my old Honda XL500, not so much in a vehicle. Tight bush as I remember the whole way and no real hunting opportunities.

one and done...........20 years ago

call me a poooosy too then

my nuts were puckered up close to my bellybutton (dragging a trailer as well)

yikes

Roads like that are quite often more a perception thing than anything else. I can recall a roads that I used to take with Dad when I was a kid that I grew up thinking were no big deal at all... Outsloped, narrow, fall for 100's of meters if you slipped off type stuff, and we'd do those with a couple inches of slimy wet snow.

Never thought about it until we had a gf of mine from PG in the truck one day who started trying to climb out the back window because she was so scared. Perfectly safe road, as long as you didn't stop on the tricky section, but she was white with terror. Dragging a trailer across it you wanted to keep your speed up so that the trailer didn't slide off the edge and drag the pickup over with it, but it wasn't that bad.
    Other people feel more comfortable getting out and walking over that section.

Personal comfort is completely subjective, based on the experiences you have had.

Love that road, but I'll also admit it was the first road that I experienced overheated brakes on a camper! At the time I didn't even know that could happen

I wouldn't pull a trailer over it because a) no time saved really b) not a great road for opportunistic truck hunting while pulling a trailer (Lillooet to Marshal would give more opportunity, I think).

If I had no trailer and wasn't in a hurry? I'd totally do it.

If I wanted a dirt road to Marshall with some en route road hunting opportunity and was pulling a trailer? I'd go the Hurley.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Some good responses. I was super scared because my truck transmission had previously overheated and was getting hot sometimes. 4 by 4 low and low gear was fine though. It would suck to be stuck with an overheated vehicle (and I keep it well maintained, new brakes, new tires, transmission serviced, etc.). The comment about perception is correct and that the road is safe. Btu still, didn't like looking down!

We were lucky as we had good weather and good conditions. Also, the road nearby Marshall lake had several very small rocks slides daily. We left after a few days as we didn't know if the roads would be closed and didn't want to take the steep hill down to Carpenter lake with snow on it.

My friend has a cabin out that way so I have driven that road dozens of times in both directions over the years. Like others have said its all personal perception. I don't think twice about it and think the road is safe in fair conditions but have had others in my truck doing it for the first time that get quite scared and aren't comfortable at all.

Having said that I have never towed anything along that road and would not love the idea of doing that

I wanna give this a go. Sounds like my tacoma would be a preferred choice over my F350?