Thread: Harder than I thought.

Harder than I thought.

Recently got permission to bow hunt a 10 acre orchard that is deer fenced but deer still make their way in. Chased a three point whitie last night for a couple of hours. He ghosted in an out, bedded in the tall stuff all the while remaining out of my comfortable range. Going back tonight to see if I can get him.

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: Harder than I thought.

Determine where he is accessing through the fence.
    Set up & wait.
    He will come along.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Harder than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    Recently got permission to bow hunt a 10 acre orchard that is deer fenced but deer still make their way in. Chased a three point whitie last night for a couple of hours. He ghosted in an out, bedded in the tall stuff all the while remaining out of my comfortable range. Going back tonight to see if I can get him.
    It can be good fun chasing whitetail with a bow. Hard to catch up to them and ensure a good shot. As IronNoggin has suggested, better to pattern them and set up. Ground blind, or if there is a tree..... treestand.

They can be teasers too. Bump them and they often go just far enough to feel safe and watch their back trail. Trying to get in close again can be futile, but it can happen too
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Go get em! Looking forward to a story.

10 acres isn't a very big yard. Might be akward asking the neighbours if you can pick up your dead deer off their lawn when he runs away to bleed out.

But good luck, I hope it works out for you and you get him in your freezer.

The thing is the total orchard is deer fenced. They can only go in or out if the gate is open. Went back last night after work but couldn’t find him. Going to go back after work today. If nothing else I’m learning a few things.

Arrow Re: Harder than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    The thing is the total orchard is deer fenced. They can only go in or out if the gate is open.
    You may well be surprised by their tenacity to get through game fences.
    I have worked three differing properties that were seriously deer fenced, some to keep them in (fallows) and some to keep them out (blacktail & whitetail).
    In all three situations, the critters had their secret crossings to get under or simply through the fences.
    A perimeter walk around a 10 acre plot won't take much time, and may well point out exactly where you should consider focusing your efforts.

Barring that, either determine their food source, and set up on that. Or bait them.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I was very surprised to see a half decent wt buck crawl under the bottom wire of a fence where the ground had a bit of a natural divot....I only hunt crown land, gave up trying to ask on private years ago where I hunt, but I was sitting in the truck glassing deer on private, trying to figure where they bed down on crown, and watched him crawl under like a dog, never would've expected that

and I agree on the stand or blind, very fun way to hunt if you can setup on a high potential crossing
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Went back tonight after work. Didn’t see anything, saw a nice buck running a doe in the next field. Rut must be getting spooled up. Lots of plums on the ground in the orchard so lots of feed available. Tomorrow will be a brand new day.