Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent Hunter (wannabe)

Question Independent Hunter (wannabe)

Hi Everyone,

Quick intro - I received my CORE a couple years ago. Firearm hunter. Never shot a deer, only a Blue Grouse. I'm a decent shot. Skip to the bolded section if you want to get to the question.

I have always pictured hunting as driving to a location, and hiking in km's or whatever it takes and perching myself in a good spot and waiting. Maybe a spot and stalk if it makes sense to. The people I know think that's stupid/too hard/are degenerates. But who ever said hunting was easy?

I decided I will go hunting myself going forwards.

So my question is this; Where are there some locations I can go to a spot and hike in? I am not talking about pre-made paths or anything - I don't want to see people or hear quads. I know there's always a chance on seeing people, just like deer. I am looking to rough it. I am not looking for anyone's honey spots or anything - just point me in the right direction.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Independent Hunter (wannabe)

This is late in the season to be finding places to go. That's what camping in the summer is for. You want to go where other people don't. It's surprising to see how many tracks are on the back side of a cut block when there are none the sides of the road that goes by it. By waiting for evening, at least you will see deer. Pick a soft rock and wait.

Where do you live & how far are you willing to travel?

Tunkwa lake, Princeton ,Tulameen are great areas to start as there is a lot of country and cut blocks. Not too far of a drive from the mainland and the highways are better to travel. Good luck, enjoy your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    This is late in the season to be finding places to go. That's what camping in the summer is for. You want to go where other people don't. It's surprising to see how many tracks are on the back side of a cut block when there are none the sides of the road that goes by it. By waiting for evening, at least you will see deer. Pick a soft rock and wait.
    Agreed its too late now. I already went twice this season and unsuccessful in type of hunting i'd like to do. I usually go camping alot during summer time but I had twins this year so not as much time as I used to, to say the least

Would you suggest I head out mid day and wait untill evenning or shlould I hold up their from early morning until night?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Where do you live & how far are you willing to travel?
    Maple ridge. Willing to go up to 100 mile(town) distance in driving - so 5 - 6 hours or so.
    Last edited by UncleWilly; 10-29-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Tunkwa lake, Princeton ,Tulameen are great areas to start as there is a lot of country and cut blocks. Not too far of a drive from the mainland and the highways are better to travel. Good luck, enjoy your hunt.
    I've gone to Princeton area a couple times, I went to region 8-7 but all the cut blocks were freshly cut down so it looked like a wasteland. Saw lots of moose tracks, hare, and some deer but they were old tracks judging by the look of the melted snow they were set in.

Ill check out Tunkwa lake. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWilly View Post
    Maple ridge. Willing to go up to 100 mile(town) distance in driving - so 5 - 6 hours or so.
    Was thinking "I know where the frig 100 Mile is" then remembered 100 Mile and a hundred miles from Maple Ridge are 2 different things.

I'm not sure about this late in the season... but I'd look at Barrier Roads. Was going to do the Logan Lake area last year (truck getting broken into kyboshed that). Maybe Little Fort and around highway 24... just watch the boundary between region 3 and region 5 (Wavey Lake Road)

Do an advanced search for blacktail limit your search by user proguide66. First seek out the threads Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2011 (2012 2013 etc). Read through those huge threads start to finish. They are loaded with awesome advice from proguide and other seasoned blacktail hunters. I know it is blacktail specific but this is some of the best advice of getting out deep into the Bush, and the tactics will transcend blacktails. Lots of good knowledge in those threads. Then start looking for places where access is limited, and get in there. It’s a huge endeavour and takes a long time to really learn areas. But it is very rewarding hunting. Also I would consider trying all sorts of hunting tactics, trail sitting, taking a stand, still hunting, spot and stalk. Find what works for you. Good luck and happy hunting.

i like to hunt the way you seem to be leaning....
    my favourite WT tactics are to find a spot where you can identify where they feed (at night) and where they bed during the day. identify the route(s) they take to get from feeding to bedding. pick a travel route with favourable winds and get there a good 15 minutes before shooting light (i prefer 30 minutes generally).

Stay there as a quietly as possible until it is light enough to see further than a deer can easily hear you (that will depend on "how noisy the bush is"). Then scan everywhere with binos looking for any movement as well as partial deer like shapes (heads legs ears antlers). When you have scanned everywhere at least twice!!!!, you may want to consider switching to "spot and stalk" tactics but remember to be in super stealth ninja warrior mode as you move to where they bed. Remember, this is not hiking!!! ...This is some of the best hours of hunting IMHO... be part of the forest .

When i first move i will only take one or two steps at the most before doing another full scan around and wind direction will hugely influence the direction i go when i leave my morning spot. Repeat scanning until you are sure you have scanned everywhere fully. To help keep myself slowed down i count steps and do a stop and scan afterwards...the number of steps (or every 2nd step AKA paces) that i will take before scanning is based on my gut feeling. i will stop every step in some areas or every 20-30 steps at the absolute max even walking on a road back to camp if there is still shooting light...

If i get to their bedding area and they are not there i will "post up" (sit in a good spot with good view and favorable winds) again for a bit and really do a full scan looking below every bush and beside every stump for bedded deer...

Lately (in the last few years) i have notice that the deer seem to be getting out of their beds and moving again around mid day (some going back to feed while others head for higher ground so i will look for them to be moving again from good vantage points or crossing roads if i am going back to camp for lunch.

Evening hunt is kinda reversed where i look for them coming down along their travel routes heading back to feed in early evening or walk/stalk my way down closer to where they feed as shooting light fades...Good luck