Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Independent Hunter (wannabe)

Re: Independent Hunter (wannabe)

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Was thinking "I know where the frig 100 Mile is" then remembered 100 Mile and a hundred miles from Maple Ridge are 2 different things.

I'm not sure about this late in the season... but I'd look at Barrier Roads. Was going to do the Logan Lake area last year (truck getting broken into kyboshed that). Maybe Little Fort and around highway 24... just watch the boundary between region 3 and region 5 (Wavey Lake Road)
    Haha yup, I typed it out and I figured I'd either confuse someone or sound naïve on how far 100 mile is XD

OK sounds good I'll check that out! appreciate it! I usually just scroll through google maps satellite and look around but I find it in the end just discourages me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Was thinking "I know where the frig 100 Mile is" then remembered 100 Mile and a hundred miles from Maple Ridge are 2 different things.

I'm not sure about this late in the season... but I'd look at Barrier Roads. Was going to do the Logan Lake area last year (truck getting broken into kyboshed that). Maybe Little Fort and around highway 24... just watch the boundary between region 3 and region 5 (Wavey Lake Road)
    Haha yup, I typed it out and I figured I'd either confuse someone or sound naïve on how far 100 mile is XD

OK sounds good I'll check that out! appreciate it! I usually just scroll through google maps satellite and look around but I find it in the end just discourages me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    i like to hunt the way you seem to be leaning....
    my favourite WT tactics are to find a spot where you can identify where they feed (at night) and where they bed during the day. identify the route(s) they take to get from feeding to bedding. pick a travel route with favourable winds and get there a good 15 minutes before shooting light (i prefer 30 minutes generally).

Stay there as a quietly as possible until it is light enough to see further than a deer can easily hear you (that will depend on "how noisy the bush is"). Then scan everywhere with binos looking for any movement as well as partial deer like shapes (heads legs ears antlers). When you have scanned everywhere at least twice!!!!, you may want to consider switching to "spot and stalk" tactics but remember to be in super stealth ninja warrior mode as you move to where they bed. Remember, this is not hiking!!! ...This is some of the best hours of hunting IMHO... be part of the forest .

When i first move i will only take one or two steps at the most before doing another full scan around and wind direction will hugely influence the direction i go when i leave my morning spot. Repeat scanning until you are sure you have scanned everywhere fully. To help keep myself slowed down i count steps and do a stop and scan afterwards...the number of steps (or every 2nd step AKA paces) that i will take before scanning is based on my gut feeling. i will stop every step in some areas or every 20-30 steps at the absolute max even walking on a road back to camp if there is still shooting light...

If i get to their bedding area and they are not there i will "post up" (sit in a good spot with good view and favorable winds) again for a bit and really do a full scan looking below every bush and beside every stump for bedded deer...

Lately (in the last few years) i have notice that the deer seem to be getting out of their beds and moving again around mid day (some going back to feed while others head for higher ground so i will look for them to be moving again from good vantage points or crossing roads if i am going back to camp for lunch.

Evening hunt is kinda reversed where i look for them coming down along their travel routes heading back to feed in early evening or walk/stalk my way down closer to where they feed as shooting light fades...Good luck
    I love all of this, this is exactly how I want to do it. I am going to read this each day before I go out on a hunt. Ninja warrior is exactly how I wanted my hunting trips to be, not red neck yee haw type stuff - that's for summer time when their is no hunting.

I never thought of just taking a step or two at a time, but it makes sense since they blend in so well if they aren't moving. Thank you for this!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Do an advanced search for blacktail limit your search by user proguide66. First seek out the threads Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2011 (2012 2013 etc). Read through those huge threads start to finish. They are loaded with awesome advice from proguide and other seasoned blacktail hunters. I know it is blacktail specific but this is some of the best advice of getting out deep into the Bush, and the tactics will transcend blacktails. Lots of good knowledge in those threads. Then start looking for places where access is limited, and get in there. It’s a huge endeavour and takes a long time to really learn areas. But it is very rewarding hunting. Also I would consider trying all sorts of hunting tactics, trail sitting, taking a stand, still hunting, spot and stalk. Find what works for you. Good luck and happy hunting.
    Oh man, so much to read. Thank you, this will go along way!

Would you suggest I head out mid day and wait untill evenning or shlould I hold up their from early morning until night?

Twins !! I will never claim to be a great hunter, far from it in fact, but I get as much or more enjoyment as those driven highly successful hunters. I find deer come out around 4:00 or 5:00. Suddenly as if by magic there are deer feeding in you cut block. And you didn't see them sneak in. BTW, Never wear jeans, when I had good hearing, I could hear my partner walking. Being old school, wool pants.