Thread: Sharing Pattern Test Results

Sharing Pattern Test Results

Hi Everyone,

As you probably knew, this is my first season to hunt (Big games and Waterfowl). As a newbie, it is learning in process and spend extra money on things I don't need or spend money based on advertisement. lol

Anyway, because I skybusted a lot on my 2nd hunting day, so I decided to buy this Pattern Master Code Black Goose Choke from Cabelas for $139.99 plus tax, which is about $157 total. The reviews from Cabelas is mostly good, but when I using it, I don't really know if it matters, because I didn't have much experience with other chokes either.

Based on the advertisement, this choke can help people shoot up to 70 yards, which my friend and I highly doubt it. However, I think since a lot of people saying good things, I may just buy and try it out.....

I decided to do a pattern test yesterday with 4 different ammos, and at 25 yards, 50 yards and 70 yards. When I contacted PatternMaster, they mentioned this choke is designed with 3.5" shells.... I don't have any 3.5" shells left, so I decided to use 3" instead.

Here are the setup:

Benelli Super Vinci Shotgun
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112564

Pattern Master Code Black Choke Tube
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/57667

Winchester XPert 3" BB shots
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/6453/...hells-12-gauge

Challenger 3" #2 shots
    https://www.reliablegun.com/en/chall...-2-250rds-case

Kent 3" Precision 2.0 1560 fps #2 shots
    https://www.reliablegun.com/en/kent-...ds-box-1560fps

Kent 3" Precision 1300 fps #2 shots
    https://www.reliablegun.com/en/kent-...s-case-1300fps

Target is a big poster with a black target inside (the black target is 8" x 8")

The pictures are as below.

25 yards:
    Kent 1560fps performs best. Kent 1300fps shot slightly higher, but it maybe my own problem, not my gun, lol. Challenger is reasonable. Winchester is OK.

50 yards:
    Kent 1300 fps performs best. The other 3 are OK, but to get the bird, will need some luck. The Winchester one need a lot of luck.

70 yards:
    I run out of testing paper. So Kent 1560 I circled with black marker (3 inside the target), and Kent 1300 I leave it be (4 inside the target). Winchester I also marked with black market (only 3 on the entire white paper, nothing on the target), the Challenger I leave it be (4 on target). At this distance, Winchester is obviously out. There is no chance to get a duck/geese down with Winchester BB. However, Kent 1300, 1560 and Challenger performed similar, and may have some chance to get a duck/geese down.

I am not sure if the money I spent on this choke worth it or not, cause I don't have anything to compare. However, this pattern test does help to decide what kind ammo to purchase.

Basically, I have 4 options:
    1. Buying 3" Kent #2 1560 fps at $24 per box
    2. Buying 3" Challenger #2 at $16 per box
    3. Buying 3.5" Challenger #2 at $21.50 per box
    4. Buying 3.5" Kent BB 1300 fps at $28 per box (no #2 available)

Considering the above options, I decided to buy some 3.5" Challenger #2 and BB. The 3.5" challenger is still cheaper than the 3" Kent, the extra 0.5" will hold a lot more steels, and I think it will catch up the performance difference.

So, basically, this is what I get after the testing. Feel free to share your comment and experience below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails af2579c06865AsWdO5dL.jpg  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sharing Pattern Test Results

Just keep the shots within 40 yards and be happy with that choke. I mean you might possibly hit the bird at 70 yards, but if it doesn't kill it out right and flies off in pain somewhere you cannot retrieve it than that's not worth it imo.

Also, from what I've read, 3" magnums tend to pattern better vs 3.5" generally.

Shooting over 40 Yds with steel shot is a bad idea. Steel looses to much energy to be very effective past 40 yds. I would say 30 yds should be your outer limit with steel. Learn to call and set decoys and you can bring birds well within range. All you do sky busting is PO serious bird hunters and risk wounding birds. You also limit your chances seriously of those birds ever getting close enough for a good shot. Be patient and learn to hunt waterfowl.

I am not trying to shoot at 70 yards, but it doesn't hurt to know what the pattern looks like at 50 and 70 yards. It is good information and helps me to select the correct ammo.

You did a great job testing this ammo but you made a big error. You didn't test what you decided to go with! It may not pattern as well as the 3" or even the 2 3/4" load of the same brand and shot size out of your choke.
    Take the 3 1/2" and try it out at the same ranges and then decide. Your results show you'll have a good killing pattern with the 3" at good shooting range, you won't gain much going to 3 1/2" shells at under 40yds.., and 3 1/2" cost cancels out any savings on purchase of more expensive 3" shells.
    I've only shot a few 3 1/2" shells. Larger recoil was the biggest difference I noticed. Keep your shots under 40yds and you should be fine with 3".

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    I am not trying to shoot at 70 yards, but it doesn't hurt to know what the pattern looks like at 50 and 70 yards. It is good information and helps me to select the correct ammo.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    You did a great job testing this ammo but you made a big error. You didn't test what you decided to go with! It may not pattern as well as the 3" or even the 2 3/4" load of the same brand and shot size out of your choke.
    Take the 3 1/2" and try it out at the same ranges and then decide. Your results show you'll have a good killing pattern with the 3" at good shooting range, you won't gain much going to 3 1/2" shells at under 40yds.., and 3 1/2" cost cancels out any savings on purchase of more expensive 3" shells.
    I've only shot a few 3 1/2" shells. Larger recoil was the biggest difference I noticed. Keep your shots under 40yds and you should be fine with 3".
    Thank you for the recommendation. Once I receive the 3.5" #2 and BB I ordered, I'll try it out and see how it works in comparison to the 3" one.

Good work getting this information in your head. And thanks for posting your results. Happy you're putting in the effort. The only conclusion I would get from this data is that everything under 25 yards should be a sure kill

After a few years of this I just buy whatever is cheap and keep my shots conservative. I sometimes surprise myself by my longer shots but I don't count on them.

I found that in my case my Benelli shotgun patterns #2's better than #3's in the brand of shell I like. Maybe in another brand, the #3's would win. Find what works for your gun and choke set-up and stick with it.
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?