Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cache creek area hunting conditions

Re: Cache creek area hunting conditions

But nameless creek on the base of go****yourself mountain can produce some nice mulies and the odd white buck

Dropped a mule buck from between cache creek and Clinton off at the butcher last week. Nothing fancy but good eating.

Lots of animals around. Really good bear sign. Going back up in a couple of weeks to see if I can find one.

Thanks to the guys who answered nicely.
    I have my own spots I like to hunt there thanks.
    But I don’t really under stand some of you and why you have to be so rude. I see why us hunters lose all our rights because we can’t stand together all you to do is bash each other. This is why we lose to The other groups fighting against us.

Quote Originally Posted by nikirk View Post
    But I don’t really under stand some of you and why you have to be so rude. I see why us hunters lose all our rights because we can’t stand together all you to do is bash each other. This is why we lose to The other groups fighting against us.
    I think they are just joking, no one is gonna give up their honey hole. i would never ask anyone to give one up, but they offered it, well that's another story. Good luck!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by nikirk View Post
    Hunting wasn't great Oct 12th to the 20th, lots of rain, roads were brutal, on the bright side I did see a lot of doe's which everyone had fawns, even seen a doe with three fawns, so something was breeding them last year !

Im sure when you head to your own spots in Nov the bucks should be hanging around, I would look for some green timber to hunt or hunt the fringes of the burn where it meets some green timber as the Ashcroft Indian Band burn from Cache Creek to Clinton and then to the east is absolutely massive and not much cover for the deer to get out of the weather, good luck
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I would guess it was all jokes that got out of hand lol. I wouldn’t take it seriously .. only tried Clinton area once and was a lot of wolf tracks.
    Member of CCFR

There are no deer around there. We got the last 2 last weekend...

No telling where the snowlike will be. It was -20 and down to the Fraser last weekend, but it's warmed up and rained since.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Hunting wasn't great Oct 12th to the 20th, lots of rain, roads were brutal, on the bright side I did see a lot of doe's which everyone had fawns, even seen a doe with three fawns, so something was breeding them last year !

Im sure when you head to your own spots in Nov the bucks should be hanging around, I would look for some green timber to hunt or hunt the fringes of the burn where it meets some green timber as the Ashcroft Indian Band burn from Cache Creek to Clinton and then to the east is absolutely massive and not much cover for the deer to get out of the weather, good luck
    This was a good and helpful post.
    I havent been up yet but will be in a week from now.
    Not sure how it will be for deer.
    There are some for sure, but not like years ago.
    All the logging has made a mess to be honest and wolves have flourished in the are due to it, imo.
    The atv ban has been good in the sense it now keeps them off some trails that led to some good MD country and used to be a great area when one had to
    hike 3 hours to get into it, but once the atv found a way up, it screwed it.

The fire should help, although as the above post states, a lot of open area the bucks dont like and was void of tracks last season where before the fire there
    used to be a ton of movement in, so that should answer that.

Also, they are logging some of the last stands of timber in prime winter habitat range for MD.
    IF they go at it like up on top, the area is "finished" imo, for many years to come!
    Hopefully that aint the case.

Bucks should be moving on the top of plateau now.
    IF it snows as it just did, they might be heading down to the river or close to it.
    Biggest issue for years now also has been the lack of snow that used to push all the deer down into tighter groups and smaller areas.
    So, it is harder to say if/how much MD #'s have declined, but i see less now then years ago and not as many big pigs as before.

Bucks should be moving, starting their search for doe's.
    So now is a good time to get out, imo.

Good luck and who knows, might see you up there at some point soon?

"Bucks should be moving on the top of plateau now.
    IF it snows as it just did, they might be heading down to the river or close to it."

Interesting comment. We found a ton of does down by the river last weekend, but no bucks with them. I've seen bucks down with them later in the year. Was it snow pushing them down or the rut? Don't ask me - above my pay grade, but inquiring minds probably want to know. When I've seen them it wasn't as cold as last weekend and there was less snow, but last weekend's came fast and I might have been there before the bigger bucks could drop down in elevation.

We found some
    young fork bucks but they were miles away from the alfalfa fields and their tracks indicated that they had dropped down one side of a steep valley (almost canyon) and were climbing back up top when we found them.

Guess we'll just have to test this in the next month. There are worse things in life, right?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I was up near Ashcroft from the 9th to the 17th. Not quite Cache Creek, but not a huge trek away either. Saw 15 does... 12 muley and 3 white tail. Had a tag for the white tail, but let it pass (ok, maybe I took too long with species identification and it blasted off before I could line up a shot). Similar to Weatherby Fan's experience, the winds, rain and snow were really bad for the 8 days I was in the field, but this led to some great conditions when the storms broke and as predicted as soon as the winds settled down, things were on the move and we got a buck early the next morning. This was the only buck sighted in 8 days however.

I'm headed back up this weekend and bringing chains, just incase. Dont think it will be an issue, but you never know. The hunting has been really hard in our area for the last number of years since beetle-kill fibre was harvested. Our favorite cuts are basically no longer huntable though as the planting done 5-10 years ago is finally growing up to the stage where you can no longer get a vantage point that is worthwhile in to them. I think this is a big positive however and hope the deer populations return in the next 5 years. The pine beetle really screwed things up bad. Many many roads cut in that didn't exist in the past, highways for predators and humans alike, reduced habitat for ungulates, increased melt in springs leading to worse runoff conditions and dryer summers.. literally a 20 year recovery from this damn bug.