Thread: 7B Peace Region Agricultural Zone – Whitetail Deer Numbers

7B Peace Region Agricultural Zone – Whitetail Deer Numbers

So I just realized that I’ve been hunting an area with poor whitetail numbers for the past 8 years…. I though it had been bad for a couple of years but it turns out time flies and it’s actually been 8 seasons. The deer numbers drop a little every year and I just keep hanging on hoping for things to turn around. I was flipping back through some pics and came across one and thought man, that was the last time we (family) saw good whitetail numbers….pic was taken in 2012. You would think a guy would catch on an move elsewhere but……..

I don’t go around asking for private land permission so we spend our time in the fringe areas on crown land. When I first started hunting this certain area in 2004 it was loaded with deer. Very thick hunting conditions but in the rut you could call or rattle bucks in close. Most of the time we would pass up smaller bucks hoping for a good one. We never shot any giants but did get a few in the 140 and 150’s. As soon as it snowed you would see the deer trails littered with tracks and it was no issue to drive an hour out just to get the last 30 min of daylight since you knew there was a good chance at a buck. I think we were a little spoiled but there is still nothing easy about hunting thickets at -20deg. We had a few good areas to hunt which were spread throughout the region but all seem to have followed the same trend. As the populations dropped, we would see more and more grain piles out to attract deer and eventually those seem to have also disappeared as others I am sure are noticing the same problem. Around 2011 we started to see lots of wolf tracks and even rattled one in close range. I’m sure they have played a part as they have been in the area now for years.

My son and I drove out the other day when we had fresh snow and saw one set of small doe tracks which is terrible. A few km away we saw a few whitetails on private land as usual but even their numbers seemed down. Mule deer number are looking better on private land from what I can see which is great although we aren’t seeing the numbers on crown land. My guess is whitetail numbers are down over 90% in the areas we hunt. I checked online to see the regions deer population estimates but the survey area was so limited I don’t understand how the estimates can be accurate. I haven’t volunteered to assist with the winter count in the past but will this year as I didn’t realize they don’t have enough help.

I grew up on Vancouver Island and started blacktail hunting in the late 80's early 90’s. Deer populations weren’t great in our area and it was tough to even get a look at a buck. Always loved going hunting even though it was slim pickings since it’s great being in the mountains. Moved to the Peace Region in 1998 and worked through most hunting seasons early on but always saw a ton of game out it the bush. When we had kids, I thought wow are they going to be spoiled since the hunting is so good. Fast forward to today and it’s a tough hunt out there. We have seen two whitetails on crown land in the past 6 hunts and have started to travel around more to find new areas. Haven’t found any real good sign yet.

We’ve been sticking to the Agricultural Zone so the kids have the opportunity for a doe but I’m wondering if that is the problem. I believe the 7B Agricultural Zone seasons were put in place to drop certain wildlife numbers to reduce crop damage. It seems to me that this has worked well and whitetail numbers are down significantly, perhaps its time to head further out or suck it up and start trying to get private land permissions.

I’m not writing this to complain or vent and may be wrong for sure, but I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else had any thoughts the 7B AG Zone deer population. Could be I just need to realign my expectations or put some more miles on.

Are others seeing a similar trend on crown / private or is it just me?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7B Peace Region Agricultural Zone – Whitetail Deer Numbers

I cannot speak for that zone/area but in the particular area that I hit, the deer have adapted to the anterless season and all are as smart as the wisest bucks. No longer they do they cross or come near roads, mostly congregating in small pockets deeper in the bush than before. Every year I have had to search deeper into the thickets. If you were not a seasoned hunter in my area, you would walk out thinking nothing is there after several days of walking. As far as population goes, they are definitely down but not to the point where I need to move on or am worried.
    Laws are made by man, Money can change it

I’ve been hunting the the chetwynd area for the last 6 years. I lost count on the number of white tail deer we saw this year. They seemed to be all over the place this year.

That's good to hear. I went out tonight and checked out a spot north of town that I haven't hunted in a few years. Managed to call in two bucks but didn't get either of them. They weren't stupid yet but were definitely interested in the doe call.
    There is hope for us yet!

This is only my 4th year hunting the ag zone. I've spent most of my time focusing on getting a big buck. I have a few different cams out, and it seems to vary by location. On spot is just littered with does, and have seen the odd smaller buck. My other spot, that historically has had big bucks show, has hardly had any activity at all. A couple does and fawns but that's about it. Seems like I'm getting a lot more moose in that area this year so maybe that's playing a role. Hoping the big guys are still alive and make an appearance once the rut starts to fire up as that's where I'm planning on focusing most of my efforts.

I've been noticing that there is a WT behind every bush this year. While moose hunting it seemed like I was tripping over them constantly. I think I would check out some different areas.