Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neoprene dog vests

Re: Neoprene dog vests

Thanks for that yes I never thought of the dogs difference in frame as an issue .The deepwater retrieves are not the norm but will mention the alterations might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Thanks for that yes I never thought of the dogs difference in frame as an issue .The deepwater retrieves are not the norm but will mention the alterations might be a good idea.
    If he lives close by I've got a tube of neoprene cement he can have some of,,,,could probably do another dozen vests. lol. Don't think it's the easiest stuff just to go out and buy. I ordered mine in.

Best explanation of vest tailoring that I have seen -

Re: Vest Tailoring Question

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 am

Here's a copy of how I do it:

Tailoring a Dog Vest

Getting an off-the-shelf vest that actually fits your dog correctly (snug everywhere, but not tight anywhere) would be a remarkable fluke. Even with a design like Cabela's wide Velcro fastener that affords an inch or two of adjustability zippers don't, the vest won't be fully functional without tailoring.

The drill is to buy the correct chest size and break out a marking pen, straight edge, scissors and a can of "neoprene cement," like Block Surf (not Aquaseal or Goop or any other substitute), and go to work.

With the vest on the dog, pinch out the excess material and mark both sides where the pinched material meets and the tip of the triangle the pinch creates.

Take the vest off the dog, and using the straightedge, draw lines from each “pinch” mark to the “tip” mark, which will create the triangular “dart” that needs removed with your scissors.

Having removed the darts of excess material, you're ready to close the gaps they created. This is where using neoprene cement, which melts the neoprene edges and essentially welds them together quickly enough that it's no strain to hold them together while it works pays off. Other types of adhesives will require stitching to hold the new seam edges together while they dry and perhaps even for support. I have never had an unstitched neoprene cement seam separate.

You'll also likely need to remove some material that will otherwise chaff pup's arm pits and an opening around a male dog's penis. Don't worry about cutting beyond the bar tacking on a vest's stitched seams, as on a properly made vest the stitching is really just eyewash for buyers, rather than necessary.

May sound complicated, but it took me longer to type that than it would have to properly tailor a vest.

NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Where are you guys buying yours now that the borders are closed? My 3 1/2 yr. old female griff has grown out of both her 3 mm and 5mm Banded vests. I guess she put on a little more muscle this past year. Need one post haste. Any recommendations? I'm well aware that I'll have to modify what ever I get since they're made for 'big neck' retriever breeds, not pencil neck versatiles. lol

They don't ship across the border?

Mastercaster ..... If you specifically wanted the Banded version of their vest vs the Avery Boaters vest, it can be special ordered in. Sent you a PM
    Last edited by Dakota Creek; 01-10-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    They don't ship across the border?
    Oh, they do, but it could get detained at Customs for who knows how long. I ended up getting one sent to a friend's friend's place down in Lynden and because he's in essential services (shipper) he brought it across. Unfortunately, even though I've owned a couple of vests from the same manufacturer I ended up getting a lemon!

Bloody zipper kept popping. Nearly lost it the first day. Dog came out of the bush dragging it underneath her. Thought it might be a one off but no, the zipper kept popping half way down it.

I sent it back from our side of the border a few weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.

On another note, I've done all my vests for Sako as per Dakota Creek's instructions. It is quite easy. Too bad they don't sell tiny tubes of neoprene cement because it sure doesn't take much to do glue up a new seam. I probably have enough glue left for another couple dozen or more vests! lol