Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neoprene dog vests

Neoprene dog vests

Where are you guys buying yours now that the borders are closed? My 3 1/2 yr. old female griff has grown out of both her 3 mm and 5mm Banded vests. I guess she put on a little more muscle this past year. Need one post haste. Any recommendations? I'm well aware that I'll have to modify what ever I get since they're made for 'big neck' retriever breeds, not pencil neck versatiles. lol

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Neoprene dog vests

I got my dogs Browning vest at Canadian Tire.
    Check Amazon.ca as well

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Do you know if Avery makes a 5 mm thickness vest?

I took the zipper off Sako's 3mm vest and had a seamstress from the dry cleaner's shop sew in back on so it's about 1" larger in diameter now. Cost me $10,,,,,sweet deal! Should do the trick but I'd still like to get Sako a bigger (5mm) one.

I wonder if I took the zipper off her other one if I could make it work. I think I would have to take it to a dive shop that makes wet and dry suits because it would need a different sewing machine than what a seamstress would have.

At least the dog has a vest now if I happen to hunt this week!

I have the Rigem Right Bloodline vest from Cabelas. We did a 5hr field hunt a week ago and I didn't notice any rubbing or chafing. No alterations made.

We got a couple from either peavey mart or princess auto. Think I have seen them at both. Not sure the thickness of ours but they seem pretty thick.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Do you know if Avery makes a 5 mm thickness vest?
    The Avery Boater camo vest carried at Dakota Creek is a 5 mm vest.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Question on vests ,I have never used one on my labs (4) in all the years I have hunted here .In fact have never purchased one for them yes for my GSP but I have more hair on my face than she has.The reason I ask is my partner 's drahthaar made a great retrieve on a goose in open deep water last week and I have seen this fellow at training sessions in deep water and he is a strong swimmer with no jacket on. He seemed to struggle a bit and certainly did not exhibit his driving style that I had seen in the past. Wondering if the collar of the vest was ballooning as he swam acting like a drag chute. I know that from my experience in Marine emergency training we wear coveralls in the pool and how much they effect swimming and maneuvering yourself .Lot of experience here just wondering you're thoughts. D

Neoprene vest were all made with retrievers in mind (labs, chessies, etc.) so if you buy one for a versatile (griff, DD/GWP, pudelpointer, etc.) which have much thinner necks you're going to have to modify them at that area of the vest. You will also have to trim the hole for the front legs bigger since their chests aren't as broad just so chafing doesn't happen.

If you don't modify the vest, Mike, what you described in terms of created a lot of drag in the water will happen for sure! It's a real easy fix, though, just by cutting out a "V" section at the neck and using neoprene cement (which is a must) on it. Doesn't take long at all to do and the new seam is pretty much bullet proof!

I've done three of them for Sako since she grew out of her medium sized 3mm and 5mm vests this past year. All her growth was in the chest, none at the neck or waist. She definitely needed a Large. When the vest is well fitted they can swim just as fast as they ever could without them,,,,maybe even better since it not only provides warmth but floatation, as well.

Sako's vest fits her like a glove so that when I take it off her the top half of her body is usually still dry.

Last edited by mastercaster; 01-08-2021 at 06:22 PM.