Thread: Spawned out Coho...? Or are they?

Spawned out Coho...? Or are they?

Starting to doubt myself.... living in Coquitlam close to the Coquitlam river, we get a yearly Coho mini-run, which is a pretty popular event. All good. Those salmon are black, and I always thought they are spawned out, most die pretty soon after they make it up the river. Yet , every year I see dozens of people lining the river fishing for these salmon (and snagging them, loosing insane amounts of lures, line, bobber, etc, but that's another story).

I never thought these fish were any good table fare... am I wrong?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spawned out Coho...? Or are they?

Could be chinook? They tend to turn black more than coho. Coho turn more red.

But in any case, no, they're probably not good to eat. They're past their prime.

But remember, for some one who moved here from Asia, who is used to eating gross carp from a polluted river, this actually ain't that bad in comparison.

Canadians are a bit spoiled on the fish. Salmon trout and steelhead are pretty amazing even if not in their prime compared to some of the garbage fish eaten in Asia or Europe.

I know my Filipino neighbours cook fish that makes me want to puke my guts out. Its revolting.

As for snagging, sadly all too common. No respect for fish

Unfortunately, that seems to be common practice on any rivers in the lower mainland, and is tough to see on such small systems. There are always going to be fish around during the run of any river that are fresh and good table fare. However, these fish will tend to not sit and “stack up”, making them an easy target for unethical and at times illegal fishing. Fresh fish will be aggressive, and attack your offering, so there is no need to snag them. It seems to me that a lot of people just get so stuck on catching a fish, that ethics can get thrown out the window. For new fishermen, it is easy to see how one would assume this is how it is done, which is unfortunate. This is why I always try and be friendly and start a conversation with those you run into. It is amazing how many people seem to genuinely not know what is right/wrong.

Chase those fresh fish in the early morning and you will have a lot more rewarding experience. Fresh fish will come in with the higher tides, so be aware of that as well. There are a lot of larger systems with good Coho runs that would help greatly with your success. Good on you for not following the crowds, and good luck

Cheers!
    Last edited by DStewart; 10-26-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Thanks... I was just curious I have no interest on fishing this small system. It has been hit very hard a decade ago and is still recovering. Most fish just come up here to die and it's overfished as it is... There are more rewarding places close by...

I was on the Stave with my son today. I can't believe the fish that some people keep. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    Unfortunately, that seems to be common practice on any rivers in the lower mainland, and is tough to see on such small systems. There are always going to be fish around during the run of any river that are fresh and good table fare. However, these fish will tend to not sit and “stack up”, making them an easy target for unethical and at times illegal fishing. Fresh fish will be aggressive, and attack your offering, so there is no need to snag them. It seems to me that a lot of people just get so stuck on catching a fish, that ethics can get thrown out the window. For new fishermen, it is easy to see how one would assume this is how it is done, which is unfortunate. This is why I always try and be friendly and start a conversation with those you run into. It is amazing how many people seem to genuinely not know what is right/wrong.

Chase those fresh fish in the early morning and you will have a lot more rewarding experience. Fresh fish will come in with the higher tides, so be aware of that as well. There are a lot of larger systems with good Coho runs that would help greatly with your success. Good on you for not following the crowds, and good luck

Cheers!
    Good post....