Thread: 2020 Snow Geese Hunt

2020 Snow Geese Hunt

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck this year with snow geese? What's the outlook on snow geese this year and have they arrived yet because it has been only two weeks since the temperatures dropped.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2020 Snow Geese Hunt

Thousands in the fields near Ladner yesterday
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

That's good to hear. I usually hunt on the outskirts of West Ham Island so I was wondering if anyone has seen them pass by that area lately.

they have been in the past two weeks in Ladner and now the numbers are getting up there. Saturday saw small groups of a dozen each heading north from Ladner to Richmond. They are transiting Robert's Bank and of course Westham. My group got a loner when we set up in the fraser islands (we set up for snowies but got mostly ducks).

Where do you set up on the 'outskirts' of Westham? Occasionally I can cajole a friend to get me on a boat.

Oh and one of my buddies at YVR said biologists told them the hatch was very good for snowies this year and to expect lots of juvies.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    they have been in the past two weeks in Ladner and now the numbers are getting up there. Saturday saw small groups of a dozen each heading north from Ladner to Richmond. They are transiting Robert's Bank and of course Westham. My group got a loner when we set up in the fraser islands (we set up for snowies but got mostly ducks).

Where do you set up on the 'outskirts' of Westham? Occasionally I can cajole a friend to get me on a boat.
    You setup in a boat or transit to duck island, woodward island or barber island and shoot from shore? Just curious as I have always wanted to get on to one of those islands but not sure of access and hunting opportunities.

Right area but I won't be too specific but selected islands there are crown land and are glorified scrub beaches / mud banks that barely raise above water level. Some of the islands are split by little channels that you can get into by canoe or kayak (but may be too small or shallow for motorboat).

The ducks are definitely there. We saw also snowies and Canadas overfly it, though the snowies were a bit shy except for that one loner. I got ducks just by walking around and sitting in the scrub though. Setting up our snowie spread was kind of a wasted effort but we hadn't had time to scout. Count this as a scouting trip with bonus ducks.

Check your maps as some of those islands have full or partial access to public. I used the FSVR map in combination with iMap BC to try to narrow down where I could go or not.

Just outside the boundaries of the migratory bird sanctuary. You'd have to be careful around that area because you can easily get stuck during a low tide cycle.

We contended with a tide problem this weekend. We tied up on a log and a short three hours later the log was under water. Thankfully the knot held but my buddy had to briefly submerge to untie the knot so we could get under way.