Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White tail advice

White tail advice

Never solely went out to hunt white tail before. Trying to make a long weekend to go hunting in November.

only thing I really know is they hang out in pockets and in thick stuff, correct?
    I was thinking of heading east along the border or just up a bit. I’m going to take my truck camper and hike on foot, no atv.

is it better to rattle or call a white tail in November?
    Greenwood would be as far as I’m willing to go for a short weekend hunt trip. More like a scouting trip with my gun lol

Either way will be fun to get out and explore.
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: White tail advice

Rattling and calls can both work...your right, get into those thickets....

In alberta i like the last week of November for whitetail. The weather is cooler and the bigger bucks are coming down off the rut and taking on a lot of feed. Typically we'll hunt fields with a good regrowth of alfalfa. I can't comment on rattling or calling because I've never done it before but i noticed the last week that the young bucks are sparing with each other but they don't seem to have their noses to the ground sniffing out does in heat nor are they chasing yet. I suspect in the next 2 weeks the does will be ready to be bred.

^^^^I could be wrong, but at this stage I believe they're just determining pecking order, before the chasing stage of the rut kicks in....

Finding fresh scrapes on the ground is how I do it. I first try to locate some scrapes along a traditional scrape line which is almost always along a ridge or set of intersecting ridges. The edge of a swamp that has a ridge or series of ridges running down into it is a natural....I have been hunting the same small area all my life for whitetails so I know where to look for these scrapes and don't go out blindly trying to find them.

Sometimes they don't revisit the scrapes, sometimes they visit several times a day, I have shot 4 bucks standing on, or heading to the same scrape under a tree which is used every year for an unknown reason. I always set up downwind and as far away as possible from the scrape and avenue of approach of the bucks coming in. I don't use trail cams so I have no idea what size of buck is making the scrapes.

November 10---30 is the best time imo.

A "hot scrape" (unrine saturated) tells me where a buck is gonna be...maybe, ,,,lol, and it is my most exciting way to hunt Whitetails, and I have shot alot of them this way.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds perfect. I’ll be heading up that way in roughly two weeks.
    that’s what happened to me couple weeks ago also with the fresh scrape I found. I sat in that area waiting for two days seeing some smaller two points duke it out then that one four point that I only saw run away.

it’s just fun to get out, if like to try a different area for the rest of this year. Probably the last time I’ll be getting out also until spring bear comes around
    thank you
    Member of CCFR

Its pretty early for a scrape....your looking for scrapes on the ground, not rubbed trees. When they scrape they use their feet like a dog that marks his territory, dirt flies everywhere and they piss in it, thats the one you want to look over....good luck.

in regards to whitetail,,,,,,you can rattle for them from Sept straight through to end of season,,,,,,,,but with that being said,,,,,,if rattling,,,you have to be in serious cover,,,,even the slightest head turn to see direction of nearby noise will alert them,,,,,,whitetail are extremely curious deer,,,,,and dont be surprised if you even rattle in a curious mule deer,,,,but last 2 weeksof Nov. as a rule of thumb,,,is probably the best time to rattle for them,,,,,stick to the rule of "odds",,,,,,,start a rattle sequence with 3 good rattles,,,to get attention,,,,,,wait 60 seconds,,,,,,do 1 sequence,,,,wait 60 seconds,,,,,,then move up to 5 rattle sequence,,,,60 seconds,,,,,back to 1 sequence,,,,,then 3 rattle sequence,,,,,60 seconds,,,,,then 1,,,,,,i found 60 seconds the bare minimum between sequences,,,if you have patience to wait a bit between sequences the better,,,,,3--1--5--1--,,,,hope this helps alittle,,,,good luck and hope you do welll B-rad
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Its pretty early for a scrape....your looking for scrapes on the ground, not rubbed trees. When they scrape they use their feet like a dog that marks his territory, dirt flies everywhere and they piss in it, thats the one you want to look over....good luck.
    yes your correct, I meant rubbed trees
    Member of CCFR

If you happen to be hunting in an old logged over area, that is getting to be regrown with brush & scrub and if your slowly walking down an old haul road or skidder trail, about every 75-100 yards ( if the trail is reasonaly straight) stop walking and slowly turn around because sometimes a deer that is bedded off the trail will hear you go by and will walk out to the trail and watch you from behind. This has happened to me several times. When you turn to look behind you, be expecting to see something, so don't be carrying your rifle over your shoulder.