Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Buddy BC or iHunter BC?

Re: Hunt Buddy BC or iHunter BC?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I have both, and use Huntbuddy for regs as it’s easier to navigate, and iHunter with the private land maps for picking my way around private property.
    Do you find the private maps useful? I have to say, often the private ranch land is actually adjacent to their public grazing lease and it seems that lease also shows up on there as private land, so knowing where the actual property line is seems almost impossible.

Do you have some tips around this issue? Because I'm fairly certain the private land shown extends much further than the actual private land of a certain ranch/area

I used Hunt Buddy and loved it. Tried iHunter but found it clunky like jilrot. But, I upgraded my phones and havent invested time to see if I can transfer the license from old to new.

Ok, bought the iHunter app and the private property add-on but I'm not seeing a legend for the map to differentiate what's private, graze or otherwise.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

My iHunter maps clearly show private and grazing lease parcels. Just need to play around a bit with the layers.

Is OnX useful in Canada. Appears to only have USA coverage in depth but possible basic offline maps for Canada also. Any word of them expanding to Canada. I’ve heard rave reviews for its use in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz.325 View Post
    My iHunter maps clearly show private and grazing lease parcels. Just need to play around a bit with the layers.
    How? They show up as the same color. How do you distinguish between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Do you find the private maps useful? I have to say, often the private ranch land is actually adjacent to their public grazing lease and it seems that lease also shows up on there as private land, so knowing where the actual property line is seems almost impossible.

Do you have some tips around this issue? Because I'm fairly certain the private land shown extends much further than the actual private land of a certain ranch/area
    I’m far from an expert, but where I’ve used the private land layer in the Okanagon and Kootenays it has been spot on. Like if you are watching the blue dot on your phone and walk up to a fence, it will show right on the line. I’m not saying it’s perfect everywhere, but anywhere I have a reference point, it’s been spot on. Well worth the $9 per year. I use it for camping in the off season too.

One caveat is make sure you are in cell service when it renews. I was in the Christian Valley around KM 30 with no service on a hunt and I lost the layer until I got service again after renewal date. Luckily I had used it there the year before and new the area.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-24-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    Ok, bought the iHunter app and the private property add-on but I'm not seeing a legend for the map to differentiate what's private, graze or otherwise.
    If you are looking to head into an unknown area, just tap on it on the map and it will open up a text saying what the area is zoned as. Some of the colours are similar, so if I’m new to a spot, I just tap a few spots and see what comes up.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

I use ihunter. Don't know how to do the private property layer.

So, I use the BC assessment map and take a screen shot of where I'm going ahead of time. I also do a regional district screen map screen shot of where I'm going, but that one doesn't show what has gone back to the crown.

You'd be surprised at how many Fake 'private property' and 'no hunting signs' you will notice doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    If you are looking to head into an unknown area, just tap on it on the map and it will open up a text saying what the area is zoned as. Some of the colours are similar, so if I’m new to a spot, I just tap a few spots and see what comes up.
    Cool, thanks. I didn't realize when I tapped on the map it was bringing up specific info on that point on the map, thought it was giving me more general info on a larger area.

So I see in layers that some Crown land is also listed as Private Property, is that land that the Crown owns that could be sold off for Private ownership?
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR