Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunt Buddy BC or iHunter BC?

Re: Hunt Buddy BC or iHunter BC?

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Same as everyone else:

iHunt for the private/public maps. The app is kinda clunky but the info is amazing. You can download the google map and have the overlay of public, private, parks, etc. It's very nice.
    Where do you learn how to do this? Are there instructions available??

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    Is OnX useful in Canada. Appears to only have USA coverage in depth but possible basic offline maps for Canada also. Any word of them expanding to Canada. I’ve heard rave reviews for its use in the states.
    I also wondered the same. Also heard it's really popular down south. Was thinking of just taking the plunge and trying it.

Hunt buddy has a private land layer too. Works well for me. A few comments about grazing leases showing up as private. Essentially they are private lands. You cannot hunt on grazing lease lands without permission. You can hunt in grazing license lands, the license is only to allow them to put cattle out on the land and doesn’t affect other uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Hunt buddy has a private land layer too. Works well for me. A few comments about grazing leases showing up as private. Essentially they are private lands. You cannot hunt on grazing lease lands without permission. You can hunt in grazing license lands, the license is only to allow them to put cattle out on the land and doesn’t affect other uses.
    Soooo .... back to my question. How does one distinguish between ACTUAL private land and grazing lease. on iHunter it does not seem to be distinguished based on colors. Is it better distinguished on hunt buddy?

Because i don't really care for grazing lease. Those are literally all over the damn place.

I've been rocking the iHunter this year. No cell phone reception where I hunt, but I can pre cache the maps at all sorts of scales from 50m to 10km. Hanging trailcams now I don't even have to pay attention to where I hang them. I can just set a waypoint on the cached map and be done with it.

Cool that you can guy those extra map layer features though for stuff like private land, ecological reserves and what not. I have not had a need for that yet but it could come in handy.

I really like I hunter though never using the hunt buddy App. I use the Cache map when I'm away from cell service can still drop pins and navigate to them without cell service. I like that I can switch between Alberta and Bc, super simple to use.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    ...How does one distinguish between ACTUAL private land and grazing lease....
    Basically, private land and "lease" land are are generally fenced and gated. On Private land the owner can lock the gates, the lessee can not lock the gates on lease land, see: freedom to roam, you need permission to hunt AND recover on this type of tenure. Grazing licences are just that and no more, don't hit the livestock or you will be charged retail for the meat.